Port3101.org : Your BES Connection

Port3101.org : Your BES Connection (http://www.port3101.org/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Discussion (http://www.port3101.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   2010 College Football (http://www.port3101.org/showthread.php?t=2179)

Otto 11-18-2010 01:15 AM

McGregor was already being investigated. This likely has zero to do with the Cam Newton saga. No facts have surfaced YET about Cam's involvement with ANYTHING. Officials from the NCAA, SEC, and Auburn met last week and Cam played on Saturday. I think that says a lot. WarBlogle posted an interesting scenario involving Cam being ineligible. He plays against Alabama and then sits for the SECCG and BCSNCG. Imagine being 0-12, winning the SEC and then being the first one-win team to win the MNC. LOL!

But in all honesty, I think this blows over with no evidence. Even the "damning" informatin released by ESPN today involved a guy who had a text message on a device that was destroyed by water. The convenience of that happening, right?

DallasFlier 11-18-2010 02:48 PM

Interesting that the FBI has become involved in this, that news which first came out a few days ago has been kinda strange, at least to me. The following from blogs, so believe it or not, but it sure explains the involvement of the FBI, as well as explaining some of the timelines. Additional comment from me - it took the NCAA 4-5 years to investigate and do something about the Bush/USC scandal. But while you can stonewall the NCAA and refuse to talk to them (and many did in the USC investigation) when the FBI says they'd like you to answer some questions, they have the power to MAKE you answer those questions - quickly.

Quote:

Feds had been investigating some high rollers regarding buying and selling votes for pro gambling legislationÖ..one of the guys happens to be a big Auburn booster. In the course of listening to conversations of all parties involved, these guys get involved in the Cam Newton deal, the feds happen to be listeningÖ.supposedly they knew about this months ago, notified the NCAA and told the NCAA to keep quiet due to the ongoing investigation. Newton/Auburn may have been busted only by chance.

That's what the sources are pointing out, and descibing how the pay for play scheme worked with unmarked/hidden atm cards through the boosters bank (he was also on the Board of Trustees....) and about tipping off the players on which slots would hit at a casino with their player cards. I guess the FBI was involved for abuse of TARP funds from this bank and stumbled upon bribing for votes and the Newton thing.
Another commentary on the same events:

Quote:

McGregor and 10 others are scheduled for arraignment Friday morning in federal court in Montgomery on charges accusing them of buying and selling votes on pro-gambling legislation.

The bigger picture here is that the Feds have been investigating Milton McGregor (A major Auburn Booster and the owner of VictoryLand, which is located just outside of Montgomery) for quite some time. The Feds are investigating efforts to pass gambling legislation in Alabama and money laundering schemes involving McGregor and other prominent Alabama politicians and Auburn boosters.

The Feds have tape from wire taps made on McGregor and other prominent Auburn boosters from their investigation. The Newton's were just shopping their talent's to the wrong people at the wrong time and thus there is hard evidence available that incriminates everyone involved. It's only a matter of time that all of this information becomes public.

FBI found out about Cam before the NCAA did while wiretapping Milton McGregor and others related to the casino/bingo indictments. They uncovered conversations with McGregor, Auburn and Cam's uncle in Michigan. McGregor paid $250K to the uncle through a PAC and other hidden entities and the uncle funneled the money to Cecil.

The FBI gave this information to the NCAA sometime after the indictments were handed down. They had to sit on the information for 6 months until the grand jury indicted the men and women in the gambling deal. All of the wiretap information was sealed and that is why the delay in investigating. The NCAA had to go to Miss St to see if Cecil had solicited money from them as well. That is why Miss St is involved. They are basically connecting all of the dots. Miss St may be cleared because they told Cecil no. He then went to Auburn. The offer was on the table from McGregor but Cam wanted to play at Miss St and not Auburn. When Miss St declined to pay him, he went to where the money was... hence the comment, "The money was too much." The FBI met with the Miss St coaches, John Bond and Bill Bell today to get their official statements.
And, if THIS (following) from an Auburn board turns out to be true - yikes!:

Quote:

The FBI has been investigating Colonial Bank and Louder for a number of possible violations in the financial market crash which are unrelated to AU. Part of the investigation involved gambling fraud between McGregor and Colonial Bank. Something called the Rico Statute allowed the justice department to set up wiretaps on Colonial Bank. On the wiretaps the FBI found major AU recruiting infractions involving Louder, McGregor, Dye, Trooper, boosters and others.

Here's what they say the FBI has on tape and can prove AU did:
  • The people above are on tape explaining who they paid and how they did it.
  • It involves many AU players
  • Providing unmarked Colonial Bank ATM cards to players to withdraw money from secret accounts.
  • Giving rigged slot machine cards to the players, which now involves the Alabama Gaming Commission.
  • Provided improper loans to some of the families in our last and current recruiting class.
  • The NCAA strongly recommended that AU sit Cam for GA. game because of the mounting evidence.
  • President Grogue wanted to sit Cam but was overruled by Louder and the Board of Trustees.
  • Coach Chizik knows none of this and has been lied to by Jacobs.
  • The people named above know the S%#& is going to hit the fan big time and have decided "we're going down" so lets win the title even if they take it away later.
  • Slive knew about this early and sat on the information and is also in the "crosshairs" of the FBI..
  • The corruption is so deep at the highest level (trustees) that AU will be evicted from kicked out of the SEC.
  • This will be revealed by the end of the week.


DallasFlier 11-18-2010 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 14071)
No facts have surfaced YET about Cam's involvement with ANYTHING.

Umm, I guess notwithstanding the quoted conversation where Cam says he wanted to play at MSU, but "the money was too much."
Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 14071)
Officials from the NCAA, SEC, and Auburn met last week and Cam played on Saturday. I think that says a lot.

Yeah, as many are saying - it says Auburn is "all in" on this, and possibly says they know if they're going down, they're going down BIG and therefore there's nothing else to lose. Per some reports, it also says the AD & boosters overrulled the AU Pres. and strong NCAA recommendations to bench Cam.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 14071)
But in all honesty, I think this blows over with no evidence. Even the "damning" information released by ESPN today involved a guy who had a text message on a device that was destroyed by water. The convenience of that happening, right?

Yanno, at this point I don't think ANYBODY except confirmed AU fanboys are trying to say this "blows over with no evidence." You REALLY think that????? Yes, I've dropped my phones in water before, and the guy who said that in THIS case said he was also working with his cell company on retrieving the SMS messages from them - a very logical next step, wouldn't you say?

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...ngyjo/poof.gif

Otto 11-19-2010 04:38 PM

C'mon DF. Do you really think carriers (or the companies they outsource text message processing to) keep text messages for a year? No. As for the McGregor situation, he was arrested last October. Do we really think that he discussed paying a player to play football at Auburn on his tapped phones in November or December? Doubtful. A lot of this information just seems to be stretched VERY thin, to be honest. I'm trying to look at this as unbiased as possible, but the simple fact of the matter is that it is hard to believe that this program would do something so desperate and stupid at this point. Even the NCAA president stated that they would not rush into their opinions unlike the bloggers have done. I personally know Jay Jacobs (our AD) and his family ... he would not overrule Jay Gogue (our president) or the NCAA in a situation like this... nor would our compliance officer, Rich McGlynn, even think twice about it (he worked for the NCAA and is a HUGE stickler for rules).

Otto 11-19-2010 04:53 PM

Mark Emmert, NCAA President: "We have to get the facts right in Cam Newton case. The burden of proof is higher than for someone writing in a blog."

Obviously the NCAA is struggling to find any substantial evidence against Cam Newton or Auburn. This likely due to the unpopular concept that there isn't any evidence. As far as the NCAA rules go, there are none regarding solicitation of benefits by a student-athlete or relative of a student-athlete ... only those that are against the receipt of benefits by those above. Solicitation rules PROTECT the student-athlete and their family from agents or rogue institutions ... there is not a thing in the bylaws from what I could find that seems to indicate the reverse intention.

I will concede that Cecil Newton may have asked for money from MSU or MSU boosters. I will also state that I do not believe he received a penny from anyone and that Cam will be shielded from his father's momentary lapse of judgement (although perhaps the rules will change and it will be known as the "Cam Newton Rule" from here on out). Again, as I posted last week, if Cam played against Georgia, then there's nothing to worry about. If he plays against Alabama, perhaps everyone will shut up for once and for all about him.

Otto 11-19-2010 06:04 PM

From McGregor's lawyer:

"Contrary to postings on celebrity and sports blogs, Milton McGregor has never had any contact direct or indirect with Cam Newton, Cecil Newton -- Cam's father -- (agent) Kenny Rogers or anyone purporting to represent Cam Newton,'' the statement said. "Mr. McGregor has never been asked to provide money for any recruitment or compensation of any current or perspective student athlete including Cam Newton at Auburn or any other school, and has never provided any type of compensation in that regard period no exceptions."

According to a U.S. Attorney on the Paul Finebaum show today, he stated that McGregor's Lawyer would have never said what he did if he wasn't 100% sure that McGregor was clean. He said the lawyer was a big shot that would not risk his reputation on making false claims.

DallasFlier 11-19-2010 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 14084)
As far as the NCAA rules go, there are none regarding solicitation of benefits by a student-athlete or relative of a student-athlete ... only those that are against the receipt of benefits by those above.

On that at least, you're completely incorrect. The NCAA has stated unequivocally within the last couple weeks as this saga has unfolded that solicitation of benefits is against NCAA rules, whether or not any benefits were actually received.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 14084)
I will concede that Cecil Newton may have asked for money from MSU or MSU boosters. I will also state that I do not believe he received a penny from anyone and that Cam will be shielded from his father's momentary lapse of judgement (although perhaps the rules will change and it will be known as the "Cam Newton Rule" from here on out). Again, as I posted last week, if Cam played against Georgia, then there's nothing to worry about. If he plays against Alabama, perhaps everyone will shut up for once and for all about him.

So Cam's going to be "shielded from his father's momentary ( :rolleyes: ) lapse of judgement, huh? Yeah, that would be really smart on the NCAA's behalf. Lets basically announce that from hereon out, dads & uncles of athletes can openly solicit on behalf of their sons, as long as the son claims he knew nothing about it and they stand firm with their stories. Yep, I really expect that to happen. Besides, we have the (apparently taped) conversation where Cam tearfully tells MSU that he really wanted to play there, but that "the money was just too much" which makes it hard to claim he knew nothing about any of this, right?

With regards to McGregor and his lawyer - first of all, he was arrested and posted bail THIS WEEK, so if he was arrested months ago as you say, then that's just an additional time. Of course he's denying everything at this point, I'd hardly expect anything different, would you? Answer this though - if none of this about McGregor and phone taps and information coming out about Cam and pay-for-play while they were investigating McGregor on other things is true - then just HOW do you explain the FBI's involvement at this point? The FBI doesn't routinely get involved in NCAA enforcement investigations, there has to be some reason they got involved - and this story you're saying is totally false is certainly a plausible way that the FBI could have ended up involved (and no one disputes that they ARE involved, do they?) If this is all false please give us the alternate explanation of how and why the FBI is involved at this point.

Otto 11-20-2010 05:10 AM

Oddly enough, the FBI was invited by Auburn University into this discussion, according to someone very close to the situation. Go figure. As for the alleged conversations to MSU recruiters, I'm not sure if we can start quoting them as fact ... nevermind the fact that the context was not included whatsoever.

It's okay if you want Cam to be guilty in this... keep reading the crap being spoon fed by ESPN reporters as fact, which it is not. This type of journalism is garbage and Cam is being taken to the cleaners for something he had no involvement in. It is ridiculous. I'm sorry, but the lesson Cam Newton is learning - he IS a student afterall - is one that he not be subjected to at this stage in his life. The media should really, REALLY be ashamed. Auburn has a bye week today and yet we will CONTINUE to dominate college football and sports headlines.

If someone actually had a single ounce of factual information, then I would be fine with hearing it and accepting it. The only problem is that these journalists - Joe Schad, Mark Schlabach, Thayer Evans, and Pete Thamel - have not provided an ounce of factual information in their character assasination articles. And I'm absolutely sure that Jim Bob Doohickey from Texas who posts on an Oklahoma message board (exaggeration intended) knows more about the Auburn athletic department and Cameron Newton than people closest to the program... let's not try to buy into the crime before ANY facts have been presented... this isn't a reality TV show.

Otto 11-20-2010 05:58 AM

Also, regarding what the spokesperson from the NCAA said a couple weeks ago about solicitation, find where that is mentioned in the bylaws. Here is the manual:

http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/D111.pdf

13.01.4 Recruiting by Representatives of Athletics Interests.
Representatives of an institution’s athletics interests (as defined in Bylaw 13.02.13) are prohibited from making in-person, on- or off-campus recruiting contacts, or written or telephonic communications with a prospective student-athlete or the prospective student-athlete’s relatives or legal guardians. Specific examples of exceptions to the application of this regulation are set forth in Bylaw 13.1.2.2 (see Bylaw 13.1.3.5.1.1).

13.2.1 General Regulation.
An institution’s staff member or any representative of its athletics interests shall not be involved, directly or indirectly, in making arrangements for or giving or offering to give any financial aid or other benefits to a prospective student-athlete or his or her relatives or friends, other than expressly permitted by NCAA regulations. Receipt of a benefit by prospective a student-athlete or his or her relatives or friends is not a violation of NCAA legislation if it is determined that the same benefit is generally available to the institution’s prospective students or their relatives or friends or to a particular segment of the student body (e.g., international students, minority students) determined on a basis unrelated to athletics ability. (Revised: 10/28/97, 11/1/00, 3/24/05)

Here's some decent articles (on Bleacher Report, unfortunately) that will kind of spell it out, in case you don't feel like reading the actual bylaws.

Cam Newton Scandal: How the NCAA's Own Letter of the Law Clears the Auburn Tigers QB | Bleacher Report

Cam Newton Scandal: How SEC's Constitution Also Clears the Auburn Tigers QB | Bleacher Report

Cam Newton Scandal: To Which We Meet Mr. Travis, Rebuke to Clay Travis, Et Al. | Bleacher Report

"As I've stressed over and over again, regardless of what the "officials" said, if something is not in the rule book or the laws, it's just not there. If a person who speaks for the President of the United States can get the Constitution wrong, what's so strange to have persons speaking for the SEC and NCAA to get their own Manual and Constitution wrong? The blind faith these arguments place on the words of the officials is just scary.

Bottom line is, if a rule or law does not exist, you cannot punish someone with it, no matter how wrong you believe their action is. You can't punish someone for streaking if there's no law against streaking. You can't punish someone for driving at 100 miles per hour if there's no speed limit.

And you just can't punish Cam Newton even if his father solicited extra benefit, because there's no rule prohibiting it."

Perhaps if more people would understand that what the NCAA president said (in my earlier post) is the way they should approach it, then perhaps we'll have less rumors and innuendo being misrepresented as facts. Until such a time, these "journalists" will continue to run with message board rumors as the basis of an all-out onslaught on the characters of early 20-somethings that cannot defend themselves.

Otto 11-20-2010 05:58 AM

Also, regarding what the spokesperson from the NCAA said a couple weeks ago about solicitation, find where that is mentioned in the bylaws. Here is the manual:

http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/D111.pdf

13.01.4 Recruiting by Representatives of Athletics Interests.
Representatives of an institutionís athletics interests (as defined in Bylaw 13.02.13) are prohibited from making in-person, on- or off-campus recruiting contacts, or written or telephonic communications with a prospective student-athlete or the prospective student-athleteís relatives or legal guardians. Specific examples of exceptions to the application of this regulation are set forth in Bylaw 13.1.2.2 (see Bylaw 13.1.3.5.1.1).

13.2.1 General Regulation.
An institutionís staff member or any representative of its athletics interests shall not be involved, directly or indirectly, in making arrangements for or giving or offering to give any financial aid or other benefits to a prospective student-athlete or his or her relatives or friends, other than expressly permitted by NCAA regulations. Receipt of a benefit by prospective a student-athlete or his or her relatives or friends is not a violation of NCAA legislation if it is determined that the same benefit is generally available to the institutionís prospective students or their relatives or friends or to a particular segment of the student body (e.g., international students, minority students) determined on a basis unrelated to athletics ability. (Revised: 10/28/97, 11/1/00, 3/24/05)

Here's some decent articles (on Bleacher Report, unfortunately) that will kind of spell it out, in case you don't feel like reading the actual bylaws.

Cam Newton Scandal: How the NCAA's Own Letter of the Law Clears the Auburn Tigers QB | Bleacher Report

Cam Newton Scandal: How SEC's Constitution Also Clears the Auburn Tigers QB | Bleacher Report

Cam Newton Scandal: To Which We Meet Mr. Travis, Rebuke to Clay Travis, Et Al. | Bleacher Report

"As I've stressed over and over again, regardless of what the "officials" said, if something is not in the rule book or the laws, it's just not there. If a person who speaks for the President of the United States can get the Constitution wrong, what's so strange to have persons speaking for the SEC and NCAA to get their own Manual and Constitution wrong? The blind faith these arguments place on the words of the officials is just scary.

Bottom line is, if a rule or law does not exist, you cannot punish someone with it, no matter how wrong you believe their action is. You can't punish someone for streaking if there's no law against streaking. You can't punish someone for driving at 100 miles per hour if there's no speed limit.

And you just can't punish Cam Newton even if his father solicited extra benefit, because there's no rule prohibiting it."

Perhaps if more people would understand that what the NCAA president said (in my earlier post) is the way they should approach it, then perhaps we'll have less rumors and innuendo being misrepresented as facts. Until such a time, these "journalists" will continue to run with message board rumors as the basis of an all-out onslaught on the characters of early 20-somethings that cannot defend themselves.

DallasFlier 11-20-2010 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 14088)
Oddly enough, the FBI was invited by Auburn University into this discussion, according to someone very close to the situation.

LOL, who are these mysterious "someone's very close to the situation" whom you quote as authoritative sources here? :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 14088)
I'm absolutely sure that Jim Bob Doohickey from Texas who posts on an Oklahoma message board (exaggeration intended) knows more about the Auburn athletic department and Cameron Newton than people closest to the program...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 14089)
Here's some decent articles (on Bleacher Report, unfortunately) that will kind of spell it out, in case you don't feel like reading the actual bylaws.

LMAO, listen to yourself, jibi! Don't listen to "Jim Bob Doohickey from Texas who posts on a message board" but by all means lets take the word of "Jimmy Chen" who has come out of nowhere in the past 10 days to post 5 articles on Bleacher Report, of all places, proclaiming Cam Newton's innocence (having never contributed a single line or article to Bleacher Report before that!)

Psssttt... jibi??? Jimmy Chen = Jim Bob Doohickey here!

And, your other source of info presented is an unnamed "someone very close to the investigation" who says Auburn invited the FBI into the investigation - something which no one at all has mentioned that I'm aware, other than you!

So ESPN is "spoon feeding us crap" here, and "Jim Bob Doohickey" is a moron, but "Jimmy Chen" on Bleacher Report should be considered a reliable source of good, objective information? C'mon, jibi, really???

Otto 11-21-2010 01:04 AM

...sucks that Nebraska lost such a high scoring shootout tonight...

Otto 11-21-2010 01:18 AM

Iron Bowl week is now at our doorstep. Auburn has a 6-1 all-time record in Tuscaloosa. The only loss in the Capstone came in 2008. Auburn is entering Tuscaloosa for the first time since 2004 undefeated. Amidst the adversity, the rumors, and the innuendos, our family remains strong and focused. The field is Cameron Newton's sanctuary. He is the most outstanding player in college football. On his back, he carries two years of frustration from the Auburn family. On his back, he carries the weight of the world. He is the most exciting thing to happen in college football in 25 years, since Bo Jackson graced the Plains of Auburn. Not a single team has figured out how to stop the Auburn offense this season. Take out Cam, feel the wrath of Dyer and O-Mac. Our defense has struggled, but they have stepped up when it mattered most. Led by Nick Fairley, quarterbacks have been pulverized this season. Take no mercy. Take no prisoners. It is the most heated rivalry in college football. The national championship is on the line. It is the Iron Bowl. Beat Bama!

Otto 11-21-2010 01:23 AM

By the way, when Auburn scores 30 points or more, we have won 64 straight games. We have only lost 4 games EVER when scoring 30 or more. This offense can certainly score. Aside from the obvious home field advantage that Bama has at BDS, one thing to keep in mind is last season's result. Auburn held strong, but simply did not have the depth to keep the lead late in the 4th quarter. This year's Auburn Tigers is a new team ... the defense has depth and the offense is nearly unstoppable. Alabama has 9 new starters on defense... I think it'll be a close game, for a while... Auburn wins by two TDs.

mriff 11-21-2010 01:03 PM

Enjoy it Otto. I hope AU wins by more than two TD's this weekend. And while normally, I'd be pulling for the East SEC team to win the championship and would also be pulling for the Spur, I hope AU wins the SECCG. If they get to play the Ducks in the BCSCG, now that would be a hell of a game. And of course I'd be pulling for 5 years in a row of SEC BCS Champions.

Otto 11-22-2010 02:14 AM

Rumors swirling around that Taylor Martinez will leave the Cornhuskers. Despite alleged responses to the contrary from his HS football coach and Bo Pelini, I believe we should take these internet rumors and rumblings as fact... Taylor Martinez is no longer a Nebraska Cornhusker!

...see what I did there?

DallasFlier 11-22-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 14098)
Rumors swirling around that Taylor Martinez will leave the Cornhuskers. Despite alleged responses to the contrary from his HS football coach and Bo Pelini, I believe we should take these internet rumors and rumblings as fact... Taylor Martinez is no longer a Nebraska Cornhusker!

...see what I did there?

Yeah, you made up crap from thin air. And your point? :) As soon as ESPN, Sports Illustrated, CBS Sports and most all the other major media outlets are reporting on it, let me know!

OH! Wait, I'm sorry - those are all "spoon-feeding us crap" and we're supposed to listen to Jimmy Chen over at Bleacher Reports for the definitive info - anything from him yet? ;)

mriff 11-23-2010 03:23 PM

http://www.eonbluestudios.com/macros...ingPopcorn.jpg

mriff 11-23-2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlier (Post 14099)
Yeah, you made up crap from thin air. And your point? :) As soon as ESPN, Sports Illustrated, CBS Sports and most all the other major media outlets are reporting on it, let me know!

OH! Wait, I'm sorry - those are all "spoon-feeding us crap" and we're supposed to listen to Jimmy Chen over at Bleacher Reports for the definitive info - anything from him yet? ;)

It actually wasn't made up out of thin air. Check it out.

Nebraska's Bo Pelini apologizes for sideline tirades vs. Texas A&M - NCAA Football - SI.com

DallasFlier 11-23-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 14105)

The "internet/twitter rumors" that Martinez had quit were made up out of thin air. Pelini's answer & denial when asked about them was not - nor was Martinez' high school coach, nor was his own statement.

Pelini's tirades were over the edge, and I'm glad that the Chancellor said so, and that Pelini apologized. But the biased refereeing was so blatant that his rage was a bit understandable - I was pretty damn mad myself by the end of that game Saturday. If you've followed it at all, a lot of the mainstream sports media has commented on just how obviously biased the officiating was. Texas A&M - home of the "12th Man" and Saturday the 12th man wore zebra stripes and was particularly effective. The Aggie player who was caught on camera anal-fisting a Husker player, who was subsequently called for TWO personal fouls after trying to kick the attacker away - should be suspended - but of course he won't be.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5yTVtSoeVZA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5yTVtSoeVZA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

djm 11-24-2010 06:26 PM

Changing the subject, who do you think would make a good new coach for Minnesota. Doesn't look like there will be too many openings this year, so they might be able to land a good one.

mriff 11-25-2010 08:17 AM

They need to grab a good coordinator. Like a Gus Malzahn from AU.

mriff 11-25-2010 09:08 AM

Pretty good reading.

Bo Pelini's temper, Heisman Trophy talk, SEC's strength - Stewart Mandel - SI.com

Otto 11-25-2010 07:46 PM

Gus won't leave for the Minnesota job. The Big Ten will have some openings, but I think Gus holds out for something in the SEC. I can see job openings at LSU (Michigan or fired), Alabama (to Dallas), Georgia (fired), etc. in the next couple years. There's simply too many riches to worry about leaving for a team like that (no offense, of course, djm).

djm 11-26-2010 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 14114)
Gus won't leave for the Minnesota job. The Big Ten will have some openings, but I think Gus holds out for something in the SEC. I can see job openings at LSU (Michigan or fired), Alabama (to Dallas), Georgia (fired), etc. in the next couple years. There's simply too many riches to worry about leaving for a team like that (no offense, of course, djm).

No offense taken. The rumors up here are the SDSU coach, which I'm not sure represents that much of an improvement.

mriff 11-27-2010 02:12 PM

So Otto, when you come down out of the clouds, tell us how you celebrated the big win. I suspect that the celebration continues today and on in to the next several days.

Otto 11-27-2010 10:28 PM

LOL! We actually were just outside of Auburn at our friends' home. Our dog nanny was out of town, so we had to take the boys with us and we had to come home rather quickly. Needless to say, my "celebrating" was on Facebook, sadly enough :(

But next week should present a great tailgating opportunity... might start at 5pm next Friday when I walk out of the office straight to my tailgate spot... LOL!

Otto 11-27-2010 10:29 PM

By the way, it is going to be interesting to see how the human votes pan out... as of last week, if all of our 3rd and 4th place votes were 2nd place votes (approx. 30 votes total), we would have been #1 in the BCS. With Boise losing, I think Auburn makes up the spread and perhaps ends up a bit higher. A win on the road over Alabama obviously seems better than a win at home over Arizona. We'll see.

Otto 11-28-2010 04:41 PM

Auburn projected to be #1 in the BCS tonight by two ten-thousandths of a point!


<TABLE style="WIDTH: 240pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=320><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" span=5 width=64><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 48pt; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" height=20 width=64>Team</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" width=64>Harris</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" width=64>Coaches</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" width=64>Computers</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" width=64>Total</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" height=20>Auburn</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl65 align=right>0.9716</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl65 align=right>0.9620</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl66 align=right>1.000</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl65 align=right>0.9779</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=20><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" height=20>Oregon</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl65 align=right>0.9839</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl65 align=right>0.9892</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl66 align=right>0.960</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0" class=xl65 align=right>0.9777</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

DallasFlier 11-30-2010 12:09 PM

Sometimes, you just can't make this stuff up, its so funny! So, I'm wondering - is this a brand new position they just decided they might need, or did the last jobholder skedaddle recently with all the alarm bells going off? :D

Auburn University is currently accepting applications for the following position(s):

Position Title: Associate Athletic Director, Compliance

DallasFlier 11-30-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

The scandal-scarred quarterback looked as if he had something to say after throwing three touchdown passes and running for a touchdown to lead his second-ranked team's stunning comeback...

But ... he disappeared into his teamís locker room chased by several Auburn police officers...

And with that, the smiling, fun-loving junior was gone for good and again silent, just like heís been since Nov. 9, the last time he spoke publicly after the latest twist in what has become the biggest story of this college football season.

That was a day after it was revealed that he cheated academically three times while he attended Florida and faced potential expulsion from the university. It was less than a week after news surfaced that the NCAA is investigating allegations that a man sought $180,000 for Newton to attend Mississippi State.

Auburn is so confident in its star quarterback that it continues to play him in what could be a BCS title run, despite the risk that his father might have violated NCAA rules if he indeed solicited money for his son.

Not that the Tigers havenít taken chances before.

Remember, this is Auburn, which played loosely with the rules in the past, as evidenced by its seven major violations. So if everything is fine, why arenít the Tigers making Newton available to the media?
Why won't Auburn let Newton talk?

Auburn could be fined if Newton off-limits

Otto 12-01-2010 02:47 AM

Thayer Evans is a joke. You realize that he actually emailed most of the Auburn faculty asking if they had information about Cam?! Simply put, Cam CANNOT comment on the current investigation. Early in the process, he would put up 5 TDs, throwing for 200 yards, rush for 200 yards, and be voted the national player of the week and the only thing reports wanted to ask was, "Cam, about the investigation..." Why even bother with getting in front of the media if that's all they're going to ask? Why even both with taking a chance that you lose your composure, make a statement that addresses the question, and then be suspended by the SEC for commenting about an investigation? There's really no point in doing so. I'm sure Cam will be in front of the media at the SECCG, but I can guarantee you that the "One bad apple..." policy will apply to questions directed at him by the media. If one even mentions anything not related to the game he played, then no one else will have the opportunity to ask a question.

A person in his position simply cannot make a comment... since the media reporters OBVIOUSLY don't want to talk about Auburn playing for an SEC title or possibly a BCS title or Cam being the frontrunner for the Heisman or anything related to the game, then there's little to no reason for him to be up there.

DallasFlier 12-01-2010 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 14125)
Thayer Evans is a joke.

I'm sorry, I forgot. Of course he's a joke, he's saying potentially bad things about Auburn, which makes him a joke by definition. Despite the fact that he's the Senior College Football Writer for FOXSports.com and has previously written for The New York Times and Houston Chronicle, and also has written for various other publications, including The Economist, USA Today and The Washington Post.

What does Jimmy Chen at Bleacher Reports say, I guess he's your definitive source, right?

DallasFlier 12-01-2010 02:21 PM

I've posted negative things, so to be fair, am posting this breaking news too.

NCAA: Newton declared eligible despite violations of amateurism rules

Otto 12-01-2010 05:05 PM

Nice edit on the title there, DF. I guess you can't be happy for the kid, eh? As the article says, Cam didn't break any rules. It appears his father did. It appears Kenny Rogers did. Cam is not in violation of any rules. Auburn is not in violation of any rules.

NCAA rules Auburn's Cam Newton is eligible to compete (updated) | al.com

DallasFlier 12-01-2010 06:13 PM

That's the title, cut and pasted, that was there when I linked the article. And, I agree totally with this writer, I'm afraid.

Quote:

“The student-athlete’s father (Cecil Newton) and an owner of a scouting service (Kenny Rogers) worked together to actively market the student-athlete as a part of a pay-for-play scenario in return for Newton’s commitment to attend college and play football. NCAA rules (Bylaw 12.3.3) do not allow individuals or entities to represent a prospective student-athlete for compensation to a school for an athletic scholarship.”

The NCAA determined Monday that a violation of Newton’s amateur status had occurred. Auburn ruled the quarterback ineligible Tuesday and requested he be reinstated. By Wednesday, the NCAA restored his eligibility because it “does not have sufficient evidence” to prove that Cam Newton knew his father was trying to sell him.

So, it’s no big deal. Bylaw 12.3.3 is nothing.

Wait … what?

Cecil Newton tried to get $180,000 to $200,000 for his son to play football and the NCAA said, hey, no problem?

Now that is one heck of a precedent to set. Hey Pandora’s Box, see you on signing day.

“That’s the most amazing thing I’ve heard in over four decades of being around college and high school sports,” said Sonny Vaccaro, the retired sneaker czar, hoops middle man and player confidant who admits he’s been around hundreds of major recruiting battles through the years. He’s a longstanding advocate of player rights and was, on some level, overjoyed that the NCAA was shooting itself in the foot.

“The NCAA just gave cover to every middle man in the country,” Vaccaro said. “The kids never know. In all my years, I’ve never heard of a kid being involved in the negotiation. You think they ask? Of course not. Their mom asks. Their coach asks. Their cousin asks. This is crazy.”

Step back from the specifics of how this case involves the best player on the best team heading into the SEC championship game and likely the BCS title game (which Auburn may reach even with a loss Saturday). If you look at it globally, it’s a head scratcher.

The NCAA just ruled that as long as the player denies he knew anything about being shopped around – even by someone as close as his own father – then there is no penalty. And let’s not give any credit to the NCAA banning Cecil Newton from associating with Mississippi State (why would he anyway?) and allowing just “limited” association with Auburn, a school they’ll leave in the tail lights one minute after his son’s final game. That’s the biggest non-penalty penalty of all time.

At this point, why wouldn’t the parent of every recruit in America ask about getting paid? What’s the harm, right? Just do it behind your son’s back – or at least pretend. You might as well see what’s out there, even if it’s just for the fun of it.

The NCAA has taken one of its better deterrents – a rule that clearly stated no one representing an athlete can even solicit extra benefits – and all but reversed it. They’ve essentially said that you’d be a fool for not soliciting.

“That’s the most messed up ruling I’ve ever heard,” one major college assistant coach said Wednesday. “They can ask every school for money and then someone will bite on it. And then if they get caught for asking they can just say the kid didn’t know.”
NCAA decision on Newton opens Pandora’s box

And frankly, for anyone believes that all this was going on by Cecil and Cam had NO IDEA about any of it occuring - well, I've got a bridge for sale in San Francisco that I'd like to talk to you about. :rolleyes:

DallasFlier 12-01-2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 14129)
Nice edit on the title there, DF. I guess you can't be happy for the kid, eh? As the article says, Cam didn't break any rules. It appears his father did. It appears Kenny Rogers did. Cam is not in violation of any rules. Auburn is not in violation of any rules.

NCAA rules Auburn's Cam Newton is eligible to compete (updated) | al.com

By the way, if you're going to call me out for "title editing", then lets not let you get away with claiming the article says "Cam didn't break any rules" either. Specifically and exactly, here's what it (and the NCAA) said - at this point.

Quote:

Based on the information available to the reinstatement staff at this time, we do not have sufficient evidence that Cam Newton or anyone from Auburn was aware of this activity
"at this time... we do not have sufficient evidence" is a LONG ways from they saying "Cam didn't break any rules", especially because the investigation is still open. I note that the NCAA has specifically said that:

Quote:

The NCAA won’t say its case is closed on Newton. However, its statement notes that reinstatement likely occurs “prior to the close of an investigation.”

Otto 12-02-2010 02:29 PM

"at this time... we do not have sufficient evidence" that Taylor Martinez or Nebraska did not break any NCAA rules. You can insert ANY eligible player or ANY institution of higher learning governed by the NCAA in that statement. That is the assumption of any eligible football player - "at this time, no sufficient evidence proves they did anything wrong to jeopardize their eligibility." Sure, in four months or some other unknown point in time in the future, evidence could come out that would otherwise indicate that a violation was committed - for Cam, for Taylor, for anyone else under the NCAA umbrella - that would rule them ineligible. At this time, though, no evidence is available to prove this about Cam. This is no different than Cam Newton at Westlake High School, Cam Newton at Florida, Cam Newton last October, Cam Newton this September, or Cam Newton today... Cam Newton, aside from the procedural ineligibility ruling on Tuesday night, has been eligible to play college football under the NCAA bylaws. In the future, as with any other player currently eligible to play football under the NCAA bylaws, something may be introduced.

Is this reason to be scared that something may come out? Are you concerned with something coming out about Taylor Martinez or any other player on Nebraska's roster? Probably not. Am I concerned about something that may come out about Cam Newton in the future? I'm no more concerned now than I was last NYE at the Seminole Casino in Tampa, Florida when I heard that the 5-star JUCO College Player of the Year Cam Newton had committed to Auburn University.

Otto 12-02-2010 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlier (Post 14010)
I'm not gonna condemn the kid until the investigation is complete, but this is sure not the kind of headline news on ESPN that either he or Auburn needed!

Guess someone made a statement long before they intended to stay true to that, eh?

DallasFlier 12-03-2010 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 14134)
"at this time... we do not have sufficient evidence" that Taylor Martinez or Nebraska did not break any NCAA rules. You can insert ANY eligible player or ANY institution of higher learning governed by the NCAA in that statement. That is the assumption of any eligible football player - "at this time, no sufficient evidence proves they did anything wrong to jeopardize their eligibility." Sure, in four months or some other unknown point in time in the future, evidence could come out that would otherwise indicate that a violation was committed - for Cam, for Taylor, for anyone else under the NCAA umbrella - that would rule them ineligible. At this time, though, no evidence is available to prove this about Cam. This is no different than Cam Newton at Westlake High School, Cam Newton at Florida, Cam Newton last October, Cam Newton this September, or Cam Newton today... Cam Newton, aside from the procedural ineligibility ruling on Tuesday night, has been eligible to play college football under the NCAA bylaws. In the future, as with any other player currently eligible to play football under the NCAA bylaws, something may be introduced.

Is this reason to be scared that something may come out? Are you concerned with something coming out about Taylor Martinez or any other player on Nebraska's roster? Probably not. Am I concerned about something that may come out about Cam Newton in the future? I'm no more concerned now than I was last NYE at the Seminole Casino in Tampa, Florida when I heard that the 5-star JUCO College Player of the Year Cam Newton had committed to Auburn University.

C'mon, Otto, really????? I know how hard Auburn WANTS it to be true that Cam is squeaky clean and won't be ruled ineligible after a more thorough investigation, but your "comparisons" are laughably absurd. There's no NCAA investigation whatsoever underway of Taylor Martinez, while the NCAA is publicly stating that the investigation of Cam Newton is still underway and NOT closed. If you really don't see a difference there, well, then its not worth discussing any further. The "at this time... we don't have sufficient evidence" statement is just that - they can't rule him ineligible AT THIS TIME because they don't (yet) have enough evidence to legally stand on, BUT the investigation is ongoing. If they thought (as you're trying to claim) that "Cam didn't break any rules" then please explain for everyone why the investigation is still open and ongoing? If they're sure he didn't break any rules, then just close the investigation and move on - but they're specifically not doing that. At this point in the timeline in the USC/Reggie Bush investigation they also didn't have enough evidence to do anything, but the investigation continued, and you can see the results at this point. Sorry, jibi, but to say that Cecil was busy marketing his son to football programs for six figures over a period of time, but poor Cam had NO IDEA WHATSOEVER that any of that was going on - is just a bit too outlandish to buy. Now, the fact that they don't (yet) have enough legally valid evidence on what Cam knew and when - that's easy to believe. But they're continuing to investigate and look for that evidence - just like they did in the Reggie Bush case - that much we DO know.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2 PL2