Port3101.org : Your BES Connection

Port3101.org : Your BES Connection (http://www.port3101.org/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Discussion (http://www.port3101.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   2010 College Football (http://www.port3101.org/showthread.php?t=2179)

Otto 03-29-2010 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlier (Post 12564)
Every year? Hmm, not so quick there, bucky! :p

To be fair, it does seem like it is "every year," no? We have won the last 4 championships and 8 total since the formation of the BCS. The Big 12 has five total (thanks to Nebraska's mid-90's domination). Between the two conferences, the SEC has an 8-2 records in 10 appearances. The Big 12 has a 5-6 record in 11 appearances. The SEC also has a 3-2 head-to-head lead over the Big 12 in the BCS championship game.

Especially in the later years, there is a reason why the fans of the SEC make the claims about the out of conference games (and with few exceptions, the SEC schools back these claims up with their schedules). Looking back at the post-Big 12 Cornhuskers during the '97 season, you battled through a "tough" conference and played OOC opponents such as 7-4 Washington, 5-6 Central Florida (AU beat them worse than NU did that year), and 2-9 Akron. In that year, the toughest competition was Kansas State and Texas A&M (Oklahoma and Texas finished with a combined 8-15 record and obviously had not hired Bob Stoops and Mack Brown yet).

Honestly, the day someone can give a GOOD argument about the IN-CONFERENCE competition of the reigning best conference in college football, then I'll listen to the argument about OOC opponents. I have yet to hear a good argument, though... and this dates back to the same argument being made to keep Auburn OUT of the national championship game in '04 (when we played Citadel and proceeded to see a Big 12 school get absolutely pummeled by a Pac-10 school).

Otto 03-29-2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 12600)

Is it? To be fair, neither of the Mannings were threats to run the ball. Playing Tebow is more than spying his movements to cover a receiver, as you also have to worry about him pulling up and running you over. Also, both of the Mannings had decent run support from actual running backs.

bigolsparky 04-01-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 12389)
I once dated a girl who dipped. That lasted all of one date. She was cute, but...

Yeah, me too but....

mriff 04-03-2010 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 12621)
Is it? To be fair, neither of the Mannings were threats to run the ball. Playing Tebow is more than spying his movements to cover a receiver, as you also have to worry about him pulling up and running you over. Also, both of the Mannings had decent run support from actual running backs.

Well, yeah, I thought it was. And we've had some 'actual running backs' for the last few years, but if your QB can pull up and get 5 or 10, and even plow over a few defenders, then the coach would be crazy not to utilize such talent. It worked pretty well the last four years. Conversely, it will be interesting to see if any of the current running backs have a break out year. I think Demps could be that player. We'll see.

mriff 04-04-2010 06:43 PM

This kid has some real talent. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he is the starter.

Cameron Newton put forth a strong showing in Auburn's recent scrimmage

Otto 04-11-2010 12:21 AM

Cam is running first team offense with Fannin in the backfield. Trotter is keeping up with him with second team, but with Cam's size and innate abilities, I believe he could start anywhere in the SEC this season.

We're losing a big one with Shon Coleman, one of our prized signees in February. He was diagnosed with leukemia and is currently undergoing chemo. :(

P.S. - To DF, Westerman signed with the Longhorns. Oh well.

Otto 04-11-2010 01:09 PM

Shon's mother posted on the ITAT forum yesterday that Shon is cancer free! "Shon had a bone marrow aspiration today and 0% cancer cells were detected in his marrow. When he entered the hospital 15 days ago he was at 60%. Blood is clear and marrow is clear. We're in remission on Day 15. Excellent news. God is so GOOD!!!!"

As for his playing career, this would likely be a red shirt season for him, for obvious reasons, but he should be enrolling at Auburn in the fall. We're short one returning starter on the O-line at RT, which is a position he was projected at stepping in as a potential first-year starter. We had a great O-line class, though, so we'll see. Our O-line has four returning seniors. That can never be a good thing for opposing defenses.

Otto 04-23-2010 01:28 AM

Florida got a great QB in Driskel. Auburn picked up Reese Dismukes at center over Alabama. This is the second top-tier OL that was previously a Tide lock that has converted to AU. In this class, we've now received commits from three OL in Dismukes (6'3 285), Thomas O'Reilly (6'4 313), and Spencer Region (6'6 338), which should make Coach Grimes quite happy (especially with this year's class). OL was considered a vital gap in depth and now we're going to be stacked for the next couple years.

Otto 04-23-2010 01:43 PM

Here are the estimated attendances from the five Big East spring games this weekend:

UConn: 2,500
Louisville: 5,600
Pitt: 6,500
USF: 6,350
Syracuse: 4,750

And now here are some attendance figures from other BCS teams' spring games this year:

Miami: 10,000
Oklahoma: 16,481
South Carolina: 22,000
LSU: 22,710
N.C. State 25,370
Clemson: 27,000
North Carolina: 29,000
Michigan: 35,000
Tennessee: 35,800
Georgia: 38,742
Texas: 44,250
Florida State: 50,000
Florida: 51,500
Auburn: 63,217
Nebraska: 77,670
Alabama: 91,300

Astonishing.

Otto 05-28-2010 03:31 AM

Florida wins SEC All-Sports trophy ... again - SEC Blog - ESPN

mriff 05-29-2010 01:06 PM

Otto, this kid is gonna do some good things. He's certainly talented enough. Give him an O line and look out.

Auburn Tigers QB Cameron Newton ready to seize second SEC chance - Andy Staples - SI.com

mriff 05-29-2010 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 13033)

Go Gators!

Otto 06-01-2010 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 13041)
Otto, this kid is gonna do some good things. He's certainly talented enough. Give him an O line and look out.

Auburn Tigers QB Cameron Newton ready to seize second SEC chance - Andy Staples - SI.com

I agree completely. He will be a game-changer for us... and he has an OL that returns 4 experienced starters (we have to replace the RT position). The OL is currently Ziemba at LT (6'8 308), Berry at LG (6'3 313), Pugh at C (6'4 289) and Isom at RG (6'3 291), with Gayden (6'7 310) or Mack (6'4 315) coming in at RT (Gayden is a 4-star JUCO transfer and Mack is a 4-star true frosh).

In looking at the future, Kiehl Frazier, a 4-star QB (#4 overall) committed to AU on Saturday. :-)

Otto 06-01-2010 01:14 AM

...and it looks like we'll be getting the #12 CB, Jonathan Rose, at some point soon, as well (his father played for AU, so that doesn't hurt).

Otto 06-02-2010 01:47 AM

An interesting video that shows world-class triathlete, Macca, working out and running in Auburn (part of an Under Armour thing).

Training Day: Chris McCormack|CompetitorTV

mriff 06-02-2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 13048)
I agree completely. He will be a game-changer for us... and he has an OL that returns 4 experienced starters (we have to replace the RT position). The OL is currently Ziemba at LT (6'8 308), Berry at LG (6'3 313), Pugh at C (6'4 289) and Isom at RG (6'3 291), with Gayden (6'7 310) or Mack (6'4 315) coming in at RT (Gayden is a 4-star JUCO transfer and Mack is a 4-star true frosh).

In looking at the future, Kiehl Frazier, a 4-star QB (#4 overall) committed to AU on Saturday. :-)

I'm glad we don't face him until the Championship Game. :D

Otto 06-11-2010 12:07 AM

USC punished with two-year football postseason ban - ESPN Los Angeles

Such a beautiful thing to come of that. That's one of the toughest penalties to date (even moreso than Alabama's program-impacting sanctions years back). Now that USC is no longer the national champion from 2004, think that AU will make a push to claim the title for that year? I'm not sure many people would disagree with the assessment that AU was one of the two best teams that season (if not the best team, to be honest).

Needless to say, I'm quite happy. I feel sorry for the recruits that USC signed a few months ago, but they knew what might have happened (although I'm not sure many expected it to be this bad). A lot of them cited the desire to win a national championship as their reason for signing with USC ... it doesn't look like that will happen. With a two-year bowl ban and a loss of 30 scholarships, the only saving grace would be the weak Pac-10 conference. However, with the rumors of them adopting a number of the Big 12 schools, the Trojan dynasty may very well be at a permanent end.

DallasFlier 06-11-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 13116)
USC punished with two-year football postseason ban - ESPN Los Angeles

Such a beautiful thing to come of that. That's one of the toughest penalties to date (even moreso than Alabama's program-impacting sanctions years back). Now that USC is no longer the national champion from 2004, think that AU will make a push to claim the title for that year? I'm not sure many people would disagree with the assessment that AU was one of the two best teams that season (if not the best team, to be honest).

Needless to say, I'm quite happy. I feel sorry for the recruits that USC signed a few months ago, but they knew what might have happened (although I'm not sure many expected it to be this bad). A lot of them cited the desire to win a national championship as their reason for signing with USC ... it doesn't look like that will happen. With a two-year bowl ban and a loss of 30 scholarships, the only saving grace would be the weak Pac-10 conference. However, with the rumors of them adopting a number of the Big 12 schools, the Trojan dynasty may very well be at a permanent end.

I'm quite happy too, this was LONG overdue! As for the recruits, don't feel sorry for them, it appears they get to rewind and make their decision again - AND, so can the current Jr's and Sr's! :omg: Open season on USC players and recruits, this could quickly get interesting-ugly!
Quote:

[USC] has been slapped with sanctions that will force the university to vacate its Orange Bowl national championship win and 2005 season, give up 30 scholarships, and miss out on the postseason for the next two years (pending appeal).

But that's not all facing the 2000's most successful program.

A stipulation in the NCAA's ruling allows juniors and seniors to transfer away from the program to a D-1 school without needing to sit out a year. NCAA bylaws also allow new recruits who haven't enrolled to be released from their letter of intent.
Seantrel Henderson and Nine Other USC Recruits Who Could Transfer | Bleacher Report

mriff 06-12-2010 08:11 PM

Henderson had UF as a strong number 2. It would be very nice to grab him from DH Kiffin.

mriff 06-12-2010 08:13 PM

Guys, it's very strange watching the dissolution of the Big 12. I would have never predicted this. So Nebraska to the Big 10. And the two TX and two OK schools to the Pac 10?! Wow. The Pac 10 will finally have some football schools!

mriff 06-12-2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 13116)
USC punished with two-year football postseason ban - ESPN Los Angeles

Such a beautiful thing to come of that. That's one of the toughest penalties to date (even moreso than Alabama's program-impacting sanctions years back). Now that USC is no longer the national champion from 2004, think that AU will make a push to claim the title for that year? I'm not sure many people would disagree with the assessment that AU was one of the two best teams that season (if not the best team, to be honest).

At least his wife is still hot...

http://gamecockarazzi.com/wp-content...009/09/LK3.jpg

Otto 06-13-2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 13123)
Guys, it's very strange watching the dissolution of the Big 12. I would have never predicted this. So Nebraska to the Big 10. And the two TX and two OK schools to the Pac 10?! Wow. The Pac 10 will finally have some football schools!

It seems like there's still a play for Oklahoma to the SEC, although I don't see that happening. I'm going to be curious what the new SEC looks like, though. Rumors abound that we're attempting to pick up VT, UNC, and Duke from the ACC. That would ultimately spell the end of that conference, as well. But I think a more realistic approach would involve WVU in the mix somewhere. Obviously A&M is a top target from Texas. I think the Pac-10 is obviously the biggest winner at this point and perhaps won't be considered a creampuff conference anymore :) ...but don't expect anyone to skate by anymore and far gone are those out of conference schedules they boast about.

I'm here writing this post and can't take my eye off Mrs. Kiffin's nip, so please excuse me for any misspellings... Sigh. :)

Otto 06-13-2010 12:05 PM

My post just got me thinking... does the new SEC and Big 16 conferences stop playing non-conference games? That will be an interesting turn of events.

mriff 06-13-2010 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 13126)
It seems like there's still a play for Oklahoma to the SEC, although I don't see that happening. I'm going to be curious what the new SEC looks like, though. Rumors abound that we're attempting to pick up VT, UNC, and Duke from the ACC. That would ultimately spell the end of that conference, as well. But I think a more realistic approach would involve WVU in the mix somewhere. Obviously A&M is a top target from Texas. I think the Pac-10 is obviously the biggest winner at this point and perhaps won't be considered a creampuff conference anymore :) ...but don't expect anyone to skate by anymore and far gone are those out of conference schedules they boast about.

I'm here writing this post and can't take my eye off Mrs. Kiffin's nip, so please excuse me for any misspellings... Sigh. :)

A few comments come to mind:

1. It is a nice nip.
2. Rumors are also kicking around about Miami, FSU, GT and Clemson for the SEC. Now that would be interesting.
3. Just saw/heard about the rumors about Texas and the SEC yesterday.
4. The SEC isn't going to just sit around and do nothing. We will end up with a Super Conference as well.
5. Still can't get my head around Nebraska being in the Big 10.
6. Still can't get my head around the Big 12 just going Poof.

Otto 06-14-2010 12:14 AM

Rumors posted on the AU forum from someone in College Station is that Pac-10 officials were at A&M for less than 2 hours and their offer was rejected. It is expected that A&M will accept the SEC offer tomorrow or Tuesday.

I think Nebraska had a classic case of a knee-jerk reaction. Sure, Iowa is nearby, so perhaps it's not all that big of a stretch. I don't believe that I'll hear any Cornhusker fans happy about departing to the conference, but I am looking forward to seeing how they match up year in and year out with Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan. It's nice of the Big 10 to add another powerhouse/powername to the fold.

DF, what are your thoughts? I know you came on here to post a response about it, but instead all you saw was USC... :)

djm 06-14-2010 09:49 AM

I came on to post and all I saw was a nipple! More interesting as well. Thanks mriff.

DallasFlier 06-14-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 13128)
A few comments come to mind:5. Still can't get my head around Nebraska being in the Big 10.
6. Still can't get my head around the Big 12 just going Poof.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 13130)
DF, what are your thoughts? I know you came on here to post a response about it, but instead all you saw was USC... :)

Months ago when the rumors started surfacing, I was opposed, but the longer things went on and the more info that came out, the more convinced I became that Nebraska absolutely did the right thing. I lament the demise of annual games with many of the Big 12 members with whom we've had series going back as long as 100+ years. But I'm also really fed up with what might as well be called the "Texas and their minions" conference.

Here's a good final straw: During the Nebraska Regents meeting on Friday, Chancellor Perlman said that when Big 12 Commissioner Beebe delivered the ultimatum for a "pledge of loyalty" to the Big 12, he asked Beebe, "So, does committing to the Big 12 mean that the conference owns Nebraska media rights in their entirety?" Beebe's answer: "Yes." Perlman's followup question: "And does the Big 12 own Texas' media rights?" Beebe's answer: "No." Perlman, Osborne and other Nebraska decision-makers are understandably tired of Texas essentially "owning" the conference and being favored such as the above shows.

Having said that, I'd still not be in favor of jumping if it was just to spite Texas, or because we're mad at them. But I'm convinced that the Big 10 is a good fit - geographically, culturally and academically - and will actually be a good thing for Nebraska academically in addition to athletically. We'll miss a lot of the old Big 12 rivalries, but then the Big 12 had already destroyed the most important one - with Oklahoma - another Texas-led decision.

djm 06-14-2010 11:12 PM

Well Dallas, you'll always have the Gophers to whip around a bit -- although I must admit that I was stunned to read that the total series dating back to the early 1900s as the Gophers up slightly over the Cornhuskers.

Otto 06-15-2010 12:26 AM

It is very interesting to see the Big 12 become the Big 10 and the Big 10 become the Big 12 (for now). The more I've thought about it, I do like some of the natural matchups the Cornhuskers would have with the Big 10 teams. The Big 10 has certainly added some depth to a decent roster of teams (even if recent history is defined with Ohio State's BCS failures).

Today's pledges of allegiance back to the Big 12 (or the Big 10, whatever they decide to call it now) was certainly a rather disappointing cap to what could have been the most memorable off-season in college football history (or recent history, at the very least).

DallasFlier 06-15-2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 13136)
It is very interesting to see the Big 12 become the Big 10 and the Big 10 become the Big 12 (for now). The more I've thought about it, I do like some of the natural matchups the Cornhuskers would have with the Big 10 teams. The Big 10 has certainly added some depth to a decent roster of teams (even if recent history is defined with Ohio State's BCS failures).

Yes, I've already heard rumors that three teams may vie for the "end of season" Thanksgiving weekend slot with Nebraska - Wisconsin (AD Barry Alvarez played at Nebraska, which has led to playing them a fair bit over the last decade or more), Iowa, being a natural "border war" rivalry, and Penn State, where there is also "history" between the two teams. By the way, with PSU's Beaver Stadium being the largest in college football, their highest-ever attendance was the last time Nebraska came to town - in 2002.)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 13136)
Today's pledges of allegiance back to the Big 12 (or the Big 10, whatever they decide to call it now) was certainly a rather disappointing cap to what could have been the most memorable off-season in college football history (or recent history, at the very least).

Yep, the survival of the Big 12 comes down to two basic things, which the Longhorns weren't going to get going anywhere else:
  • The exclusive ability to have their own single-team sports network while forcing all other members to forfeit all media rights to the conference and split the revenue
  • A long term lock on an uneven revenue split between the conference teams, benefiting Texas the most and widening their revenue gap from the rest of the league

DallasFlier 06-15-2010 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djm (Post 13135)
Well Dallas, you'll always have the Gophers to whip around a bit -- although I must admit that I was stunned to read that the total series dating back to the early 1900s as the Gophers up slightly over the Cornhuskers.

Hiya djm - playing the Gophers regularly will hopefully become one of the new "traditions" that we establish - maybe replacing our long-term domination of teams like Kansas and Kansas State. :p And you're right - if you take the series over the last 50 years, Nebraska dominates - as they do with the whole of the Big 10. But prior to that, Nebraska had a number of decades in the early part of the past century where they frankly weren't very good.

DallasFlier 06-15-2010 01:47 PM

More on Texas and their negotiations with the PAC-10, and why they went the route of salvaging the Big 12 instead:
Quote:

A source close to the Pac-10's expansion negotiations told The Denver Post that Texas insisted on better revenue sharing and its own network, which essentially killed the deal.

"In the 11th hour, after months of telling us they understand the TV rights, they're trying to pull a fast one on the verge of sealing the deal in the regents meeting," the source said. "They want a better revenue sharing deal and their own network. Those were points of principle. (The Pac-10) wants to treat everyone fairly. It's been that way for months of discussions."
So while Commissioner Beebe, essentially acting as a Texas mouthpiece, is giving ultimatums to other teams about deadlines to pledge their unwavering loyalty "or else", Texas (who was not ever asked to pledge its loyalty to the Big 12) has been negotiating for months with the PAC-10 behind the scenes. And what killed the deal was the PAC-10's refusal to give them "special terms" instead of treating them equally - as every other conference does, except the "Texas & minions" conference. Had the PAC-10 rolled over and accepted those terms to get their 16 team super-conference, Nebraska and the rest are left holding the bag when Texas jumps and takes their underlings along.

DallasFlier 06-16-2010 10:01 AM

New logo for the Big 12-2
 

mriff 07-03-2010 02:32 PM

UF number 2 in the Directors Cup this year. Highest ranking ever. Stanford number 1 again. The Gators did it with 21 sports while Stanford has 36 sports to qualify.

Otto 07-11-2010 03:33 AM

Definitely a high note for Florida sports. We finished 26th overall. Sigh.

You about ready for football? I really hate this time of the year. Slow time for practice reports, slow time for recruiting, and the impending wait for the season to start. UGH!

Otto 07-11-2010 03:33 AM

Worst headline ever?

Tired Gay succumbs to Dix in 200 meters | Reuters

*shakes head*

mriff 07-12-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 13350)
Worst headline ever?

Tired Gay succumbs to Dix in 200 meters | Reuters

*shakes head*

:lol:

mriff 07-12-2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 13349)
Definitely a high note for Florida sports. We finished 26th overall. Sigh.

You about ready for football? I really hate this time of the year. Slow time for practice reports, slow time for recruiting, and the impending wait for the season to start. UGH!

Yes, I'm ready. Although a little apprehensive about how the season will go. But bring it on.

mriff 07-12-2010 05:04 PM

By the way Otto, did you see that the Gators won the NC in women's swimming? Wrested that title from AU. Finally.

Otto 07-15-2010 11:36 PM

Yeah, we had a "rebuilding" year ... didn't finish all that bad (top 6 or something). We just had something like six new 4-star and above swimmers (and one 6-star or something like that) recruited. I think Florida's class looked about the same, as did Georgia. I would call the "dawging" of Georgia's women's team the real upset, though... they looked unbeatable at the conference championship.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2 PL2