View Single Post
Old 03-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Proprietor

I still think there's an argument to be made regarding the conference schedule within SEC football being tougher than any other conference around. Of course, the Big 12's top teams have expanded beyond 2-3 teams over the last couple years and is on the rise in this category, but I still think they're a distant second place (if even second top to bottom).

According to Sagarin's ratings, the SEC, once again, ranked atop the conference strength list. According to his ratings, Mississippi State was 1st and Alabama was 2nd on strength of schedule. South Carolina was 4th. LSU was 5th. Georgia was 7th. Arkansas was 12th. Florida was 15th. Auburn was 17th. Vanderbilt was 20th. Tennessee was 21st. Kentucky was 35th. Ole Miss was 46th.

The Big 12's highest ranking? Oklahoma came in at 22nd. Nebraska? They ranked 52nd, lower than all SEC schools. Interestingly enough, the only non-SEC school in the Top 5 was Florida State. I really do not understand the argument about non-conference strength of schedule. In all honesty, who cares?

If a team's overall strength of schedule is higher than another team from another conference due to two-thirds of my schedule being against outlandishly tough opponents within my conference, why does a defensive argument even have to be made? Aside from providing obvious money-making opportunities, these out of conference games can make a huge statement in strength of schedule, if that strength lacks in conference play. If anything, Texas versus Ohio State during the regular season says more about the conference strength of the Big 12 and Big Ten than it does about having balls.

The views expressed by me on Port3101.org are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.