Welcome to Port3101.org : Your BES Connection Mark forums read | View Forum Leaders
Port3101.org : Your BES Connection



Reply
LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
2009 College Football
 
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1121 (permalink)  
Old 10-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Otto's Avatar
Proprietor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,033
Blog Entries: 14
Default

I think it comes down to this. LSU beat Washington in Washington. USC lost to Washington in Washington. So naturally USC should be ranked higher than LSU, right? Oh wait, that's not the point I was trying to make. Oh yeah, USC didn't actually take the Huskies as a serious opponent and can trade in their one time get out of jail free card for the loss.

*shakes head*

Leading up to the Florida-LSU game, a lot of people were saying the Tigers were the most overrated team in America, including me. They had a number fo close games when they shouldn't have been that close (Mississippi State). USC played with a backup QB against the Huskies, as well (not that one is actually better than the other, imo). But nevertheless, there are a lot of factors that say that USC should be ahead of them (time of loss, etc). I don't think its right, but I also don't think LSU should have dropped all the way to 10th, either.
__________________
BCSA (4.1, 5.0) | BCSD (4.1, 5.0)

The views expressed by me on Port3101.org are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #1122 (permalink)  
Old 10-12-2009, 07:38 PM
Otto's Avatar
Proprietor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,033
Blog Entries: 14
Default

Okay, so let me warn that this is a LONG read. However, I also believe that it can easily put a smile on each of your faces. This is regarding Auburn's drainage system that took on a monsoon for the WVU game and came out shining like a ray of sunlight.

Pat’s Dry Field | The War Eagle Reader

REALLY good story! I had no idea the drainage system was 25 years old, but holy crap!
__________________
BCSA (4.1, 5.0) | BCSD (4.1, 5.0)

The views expressed by me on Port3101.org are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.
Reply With Quote
  #1123 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2009, 10:04 AM
iam4uf's Avatar
BES Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
OK, here's my question of the day, and its because I think a SEC team is getting dissed - or more accurately the University of Spoiled Children is getting a whole lot more credit than they deserve, just because they're USC.

How does anyone rate USC over LSU? Serious question here!

Both have 1 loss.
LSU lost to the #1 team
USC lost to a 3 loss Washington team that LSU beat!

Doesn't say much about the credibility of the polls, IMHO.
I agree. I think the polls are worthless until the BCS comes out. That is the only poll that really matters

Until we get a playoff system in place we will have these arguments over and over. Everyone thinks their team should be ranked higher. WE NEED A PLAYOFF SYSTEM.
__________________
The Florida Gators
- Two national titles in the last 3 years.
- Ranked in 67 consecutive polls, including 48 weeks in the top 10
- More wins in the last 3 years than any other team in the nation.

- Urban Meyer holds a 7-1 record at UF against top-five teams, a 11-2 mark against top-10 opponents and
is 18-5 against the top 25.
Reply With Quote
  #1124 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2009, 04:31 PM
DallasFlier's Avatar
Husker Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Okay, so let me warn that this is a LONG read. However, I also believe that it can easily put a smile on each of your faces. This is regarding Auburn's drainage system that took on a monsoon for the WVU game and came out shining like a ray of sunlight.

Patís Dry Field | The War Eagle Reader

REALLY good story! I had no idea the drainage system was 25 years old, but holy crap!
That was a good article, thanks. And after witnessing the monsoon game last Thursday night at Missouri, I have to say their field sure didn't look like the "after" picture of Auburn's in that article. Did it really not get torn up at all from the game? That's pretty amazing, I'd think it would have no matter what kind of drainage system it had.
__________________
50 Year Win %: Nebraska-.785
tOSU-.768 Penn St-.740 Oklahoma-.740 Texas-.733 Alabama-.729 Michigan-.724 USC-.723
Dominance! The Longstanding HUSKER Tradition!
NCAA record 311 consecutive sellouts, dating to 1962.
In an NCAA record 348 consecutive AP polls, including 96 consecutive Top 10 weeks.
Appeared in NCAA record 35 consecutive bowl games.
NCAA record 3 (Undefeated) National Championships in 4 seasons.



Reply With Quote
  #1125 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2009, 04:51 PM
iam4uf's Avatar
BES Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 247
Default

Alright all, let's here your predictions on the Cincinnati-USF game. Does anyone care but me?
__________________
The Florida Gators
- Two national titles in the last 3 years.
- Ranked in 67 consecutive polls, including 48 weeks in the top 10
- More wins in the last 3 years than any other team in the nation.

- Urban Meyer holds a 7-1 record at UF against top-five teams, a 11-2 mark against top-10 opponents and
is 18-5 against the top 25.
Reply With Quote
  #1126 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2009, 07:42 PM
Otto's Avatar
Proprietor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,033
Blog Entries: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
That was a good article, thanks. And after witnessing the monsoon game last Thursday night at Missouri, I have to say their field sure didn't look like the "after" picture of Auburn's in that article. Did it really not get torn up at all from the game? That's pretty amazing, I'd think it would have no matter what kind of drainage system it had.
Nope, not a bit. During the game, the field was more like a slight mist fell earlier in the day. Certainly not the monsoon that caused the stadium to be evacuated and the game to be delayed 70 minutes before kickoff.
__________________
BCSA (4.1, 5.0) | BCSD (4.1, 5.0)

The views expressed by me on Port3101.org are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.
Reply With Quote
  #1127 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Otto's Avatar
Proprietor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,033
Blog Entries: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam4uf View Post
Alright all, let's here your predictions on the Cincinnati-USF game. Does anyone care but me?
In all honesty, I think Cincy wins big. I'm looking forward to the Cincy-WVU matchup
__________________
BCSA (4.1, 5.0) | BCSD (4.1, 5.0)

The views expressed by me on Port3101.org are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.
Reply With Quote
  #1128 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Otto's Avatar
Proprietor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,033
Blog Entries: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam4uf View Post
I agree. I think the polls are worthless until the BCS comes out. That is the only poll that really matters

Until we get a playoff system in place we will have these arguments over and over. Everyone thinks their team should be ranked higher. WE NEED A PLAYOFF SYSTEM.
Considering all but one of the computers aren't reporting now, there is a projected BCS rankings website that seems to be fairly accurate.

BCS Guru -- BCS Standings (Current)

Florida moved back to the clear cut first place. Alabama is in second. Virginia Tech is in third. And USC is one spot ahead of LSU. Nebraska jumped from 25th to 16th and Auburn dropped from 14th to 25th.
__________________
BCSA (4.1, 5.0) | BCSD (4.1, 5.0)

The views expressed by me on Port3101.org are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.
Reply With Quote
  #1129 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2009, 08:11 PM
DallasFlier's Avatar
Husker Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 317
Default

If the public were allowed to vote to really determine the winner of the Heisman, it currently looks like Nebraska would have the winner in a landslide over all other candidates.

ESPN Heisman Vote 2009
__________________
50 Year Win %: Nebraska-.785
tOSU-.768 Penn St-.740 Oklahoma-.740 Texas-.733 Alabama-.729 Michigan-.724 USC-.723
Dominance! The Longstanding HUSKER Tradition!
NCAA record 311 consecutive sellouts, dating to 1962.
In an NCAA record 348 consecutive AP polls, including 96 consecutive Top 10 weeks.
Appeared in NCAA record 35 consecutive bowl games.
NCAA record 3 (Undefeated) National Championships in 4 seasons.



Reply With Quote
  #1130 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2009, 08:15 PM
DallasFlier's Avatar
Husker Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Considering all but one of the computers aren't reporting now, there is a projected BCS rankings website that seems to be fairly accurate.

BCS Guru -- BCS Standings (Current)

Florida moved back to the clear cut first place. Alabama is in second. Virginia Tech is in third. And USC is one spot ahead of LSU. Nebraska jumped from 25th to 16th and Auburn dropped from 14th to 25th.
Ah, the "what-if's"! A lot of talk on the Husker boards right now lamenting that if we hadn't suffered that 80 yard TD catch in the final minute by VaTech in their come-from-behind 1 point win, we might well be sitting in the Top 5 right now, almost certainly in the Top 10. Personally, I'm not sure we'd deserve that yet, but then some of the other high teams don't deserve it any more. Kinda shocks me that we're ahead of Oklahoma in all polls at the moment. Next few weeks should be interesting for the Huskers and fans.
__________________
50 Year Win %: Nebraska-.785
tOSU-.768 Penn St-.740 Oklahoma-.740 Texas-.733 Alabama-.729 Michigan-.724 USC-.723
Dominance! The Longstanding HUSKER Tradition!
NCAA record 311 consecutive sellouts, dating to 1962.
In an NCAA record 348 consecutive AP polls, including 96 consecutive Top 10 weeks.
Appeared in NCAA record 35 consecutive bowl games.
NCAA record 3 (Undefeated) National Championships in 4 seasons.



Reply With Quote
  #1131 (permalink)  
Old 10-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Otto's Avatar
Proprietor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,033
Blog Entries: 14
Default

Oklahoma could very well drop out of the Top 25 after this weekend (and it'll take them a few weeks to recover a position in the Top 25). They were last out of the Top 25 on the final week of the 2005 regular season, which accounts for 5th best currently (57 weeks).

AP Poll Consecutive Week Appearance Streaks - AP Poll Archive - Historical College Football and Basketball Polls and Rankings

...and yes, before it can be said, Nebraska holds the record for most consecutive weeks in the AP Top 25 at 348 weeks. Florida is in third at 209 weeks (just behind Florida State's 211 weeks). Go figure.
__________________
BCSA (4.1, 5.0) | BCSD (4.1, 5.0)

The views expressed by me on Port3101.org are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.
Reply With Quote
  #1132 (permalink)  
Old 10-14-2009, 09:50 AM
iam4uf's Avatar
BES Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
If the public were allowed to vote to really determine the winner of the Heisman, it currently looks like Nebraska would have the winner in a landslide over all other candidates.

ESPN Heisman Vote 2009
No doubt, he is a definitely a great defensive player. BUT, if he wins the Heisman I will run naked through the swamp at half time and let Milk film it, then post it on this forum.
__________________
The Florida Gators
- Two national titles in the last 3 years.
- Ranked in 67 consecutive polls, including 48 weeks in the top 10
- More wins in the last 3 years than any other team in the nation.

- Urban Meyer holds a 7-1 record at UF against top-five teams, a 11-2 mark against top-10 opponents and
is 18-5 against the top 25.
Reply With Quote
  #1133 (permalink)  
Old 10-14-2009, 09:51 AM
iam4uf's Avatar
BES Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Oklahoma could very well drop out of the Top 25 after this weekend (and it'll take them a few weeks to recover a position in the Top 25). They were last out of the Top 25 on the final week of the 2005 regular season, which accounts for 5th best currently (57 weeks).

AP Poll Consecutive Week Appearance Streaks - AP Poll Archive - Historical College Football and Basketball Polls and Rankings

...and yes, before it can be said, Nebraska holds the record for most consecutive weeks in the AP Top 25 at 348 weeks. Florida is in third at 209 weeks (just behind Florida State's 211 weeks). Go figure.
Shows you how stupid the voters are.. FSU in the top 25, that is hilarious..
__________________
The Florida Gators
- Two national titles in the last 3 years.
- Ranked in 67 consecutive polls, including 48 weeks in the top 10
- More wins in the last 3 years than any other team in the nation.

- Urban Meyer holds a 7-1 record at UF against top-five teams, a 11-2 mark against top-10 opponents and
is 18-5 against the top 25.
Reply With Quote
  #1134 (permalink)  
Old 10-14-2009, 10:57 AM
Milkman's Avatar
Knows the SEC > ALL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam4uf View Post
BUT, if he wins the Heisman I will run naked through the swamp at half time and let Milk film it, then post it on this forum.
You will have to find someone else to do that sir. I am not interested.
Reply With Quote
  #1135 (permalink)  
Old 10-14-2009, 11:16 PM
DallasFlier's Avatar
Husker Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
...and yes, before it can be said, Nebraska holds the record for most consecutive weeks in the AP Top 25 at 348 weeks.
No problem jibi, I'm sure it can be explained away simply due to the fact that there are no other teams in Nebraska.
__________________
50 Year Win %: Nebraska-.785
tOSU-.768 Penn St-.740 Oklahoma-.740 Texas-.733 Alabama-.729 Michigan-.724 USC-.723
Dominance! The Longstanding HUSKER Tradition!
NCAA record 311 consecutive sellouts, dating to 1962.
In an NCAA record 348 consecutive AP polls, including 96 consecutive Top 10 weeks.
Appeared in NCAA record 35 consecutive bowl games.
NCAA record 3 (Undefeated) National Championships in 4 seasons.



Reply With Quote
  #1136 (permalink)  
Old 10-15-2009, 07:15 AM
Milkman's Avatar
Knows the SEC > ALL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
No problem jibi, I'm sure it can be explained away simply due to the fact that there are no other teams in Nebraska.
Nooooo that makes no sense.

HOWEVER.

When Nebraska had 348 weeks in the Top 25, there were only 25 college teams in the entire league.
Reply With Quote
  #1137 (permalink)  
Old 10-15-2009, 09:40 AM
Otto's Avatar
Proprietor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,033
Blog Entries: 14
Default

LMAO! I think that could be perhaps the post of the year!
__________________
BCSA (4.1, 5.0) | BCSD (4.1, 5.0)

The views expressed by me on Port3101.org are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.
Reply With Quote
  #1138 (permalink)  
Old 10-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Otto's Avatar
Proprietor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,033
Blog Entries: 14
Default

Thursday, October 15
No. 8 Cincinnati at No. 21 South Florida
Could this be an early Big East championship game? If there's one thing you can appreciate about the BCS stepchild conference, they sure do have some great parity at the top tier of the league. Four teams remain undefeated in conference play and this game will likely knock one of the three best teams out of contention (of course, there will likely be another 10-way tie for first place at the end of the year). However, given the game being played in Tampa, I think that Cincy comes down and drills the Bulls (like that logic, eh).

Saturday, October 17
No. 20 Oklahoma vs. No. 3 Texas
The Red River Shootout. Preseason, this was perhaps one of the most anticipated games of the season. Texas, one week removed from being jumped at the top of the rankings, will be looking to prove their worth against recently semi-healthy Sam Bradford and company. This was to be a matchup between two of the top three Heisman candidates. Ahh, the what-ifs of a great football season. Texas has not really looked spectacular in any game to date and I don't see this changing. Give Oklahoma a close upset.

No. 11 Iowa at Wisconsin
Wisconsin lost pretty bad to Ohio State. This game is a toss-up for me, so I'll go with the Badgers, simply out of spite for the Hawkeyes. They deserve a loss simply to shut up any chance they have at making a run for any sort of title argument.

Georgia at Vanderbilt
Georgia bounces back against Vandy and takes one from the good state of Tennessee. I think we'll see the Bulldogs pull out early and send in the reserves.

Arkansas at No. 1 Florida
The Hogs are fresh off a big-time upset of Auburn. However, playing the Swamp and the nation's top defense, they won't be afforded the luxury of home field advantage and a near-flawless performance. Look for the Gators to bounce back after a lackluster performance against LSU and look for the Hogs to return to their previous life as a mediocre team that only sometimes shines (gee, can't see the bitterness in those comments, eh). Florida wins big and easy.

No. 6 USC at No. 25 Notre Dame
I would love nothing more than to see the nation's top QB lead his Irish over a heavily favored USC squad. Just mere weeks after being embarassed by the Huskies, the Trojans are already back into the national championship discussion (assuming that Texas or Alabama lose, that is). However, I just don't see it happening. I think this game may very well come down to the wire, though... let's hope it swings in the direction of Touchdown Jesus.

Texas Tech at No. 15 Nebraska
The Red Raiders have zero quality wins this season, although both games against ranked teams were losses of 10 points or less. Nebraska is playing like they have a chip on their shoulder and should very well be undefeated at this point. The Huskers are currently a 10.5 point favorite. I think they win by 6.

No. 4 Virginia Tech at No. 19 Georgia Tech
The Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech have won 70% of their home games since the turn of the century. However, they have always lost at least one home game during every season. Consider this that 'at least one' game for this season. The Hokies prove they deserve a Top 5 ranking during BCS week.

No. 9 Miami (FL) at UCF
Is Miami the real deal? This is the first (of many) hot seat season for Randy Shannon and he has really delivered (one year early, according to most people). This will be their third straight win on a stretch that may very well last 8 games before their matchup with the in-state Bulls.

Kentucky at Auburn
Kentucky QB Mike Hartline is possibly out for the season, so the Wildcats will be breaking in someone new at the position against an Auburn team that needs one more win to be bowl eligible under an entirely new coaching staff. Wildcat RB Derrick Locke may have his best shot at eclipsing the century mark for the first time all season, but Auburn destroys the Wildcats in a rebound effort at Jordan-Hare.

No. 22 South Carolina at No. 2 Alabama
This could be an interesting game. Except for the fact that it won't be. I believe this is the first time both teams have been ranked when they met, but that may be the only first. Alabama should easily stretch their winning streak to numero dos against the Gamecocks (okay, I must admit that after we always had to time C*cks or some crap like that on BBF, I'm more than happy to talk about SC every single week ... LOL!)
__________________
BCSA (4.1, 5.0) | BCSD (4.1, 5.0)

The views expressed by me on Port3101.org are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.
Reply With Quote
  #1139 (permalink)  
Old 10-15-2009, 10:11 AM
DallasFlier's Avatar
Husker Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman View Post
Nooooo that makes no sense.

HOWEVER.

When Nebraska had 348 weeks in the Top 25, there were only 25 college teams in the entire league.
One of whom was Florida... Can you say "Fiesta Bowl?"
__________________
50 Year Win %: Nebraska-.785
tOSU-.768 Penn St-.740 Oklahoma-.740 Texas-.733 Alabama-.729 Michigan-.724 USC-.723
Dominance! The Longstanding HUSKER Tradition!
NCAA record 311 consecutive sellouts, dating to 1962.
In an NCAA record 348 consecutive AP polls, including 96 consecutive Top 10 weeks.
Appeared in NCAA record 35 consecutive bowl games.
NCAA record 3 (Undefeated) National Championships in 4 seasons.



Reply With Quote
  #1140 (permalink)  
Old 10-15-2009, 10:39 AM
mriff's Avatar
Swamp Gator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida Swamps
Posts: 392
Default

Otto, love the prognostications. Especially the Bama COCKS game. Funny as hell. And of course I like your pick on the UF/ARK game.....
Reply With Quote
  #1141 (permalink)  
Old 10-15-2009, 10:41 AM
DallasFlier's Avatar
Husker Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 317
Default

Good read, jibi. I honestly think Texas is going to take this year's game. You're right, they haven't looked that great, but then neither has Oklahoma. Should be an interesting game.

Oh, by the way, someone in the PCC (politically correct police) decided a few years ago that "Red River Shootout" was too "violent" and now you must refer to it as the "Red River Rivalry." That's the ONLY thing you'll see it called these days in the media around here.

And as mriff likes your pick in the UF-Ark game, I also like your pick in the Huskers-TTech game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Thursday, October 15
No. 8 Cincinnati at No. 21 South Florida
Could this be an early Big East championship game? If there's one thing you can appreciate about the BCS stepchild conference, they sure do have some great parity at the top tier of the league. Four teams remain undefeated in conference play and this game will likely knock one of the three best teams out of contention (of course, there will likely be another 10-way tie for first place at the end of the year). However, given the game being played in Tampa, I think that Cincy comes down and drills the Bulls (like that logic, eh).

Saturday, October 17
No. 20 Oklahoma vs. No. 3 Texas
The Red River Shootout. Preseason, this was perhaps one of the most anticipated games of the season. Texas, one week removed from being jumped at the top of the rankings, will be looking to prove their worth against recently semi-healthy Sam Bradford and company. This was to be a matchup between two of the top three Heisman candidates. Ahh, the what-ifs of a great football season. Texas has not really looked spectacular in any game to date and I don't see this changing. Give Oklahoma a close upset.

No. 11 Iowa at Wisconsin
Wisconsin lost pretty bad to Ohio State. This game is a toss-up for me, so I'll go with the Badgers, simply out of spite for the Hawkeyes. They deserve a loss simply to shut up any chance they have at making a run for any sort of title argument.

Georgia at Vanderbilt
Georgia bounces back against Vandy and takes one from the good state of Tennessee. I think we'll see the Bulldogs pull out early and send in the reserves.

Arkansas at No. 1 Florida
The Hogs are fresh off a big-time upset of Auburn. However, playing the Swamp and the nation's top defense, they won't be afforded the luxury of home field advantage and a near-flawless performance. Look for the Gators to bounce back after a lackluster performance against LSU and look for the Hogs to return to their previous life as a mediocre team that only sometimes shines (gee, can't see the bitterness in those comments, eh). Florida wins big and easy.

No. 6 USC at No. 25 Notre Dame
I would love nothing more than to see the nation's top QB lead his Irish over a heavily favored USC squad. Just mere weeks after being embarassed by the Huskies, the Trojans are already back into the national championship discussion (assuming that Texas or Alabama lose, that is). However, I just don't see it happening. I think this game may very well come down to the wire, though... let's hope it swings in the direction of Touchdown Jesus.

Texas Tech at No. 15 Nebraska
The Red Raiders have zero quality wins this season, although both games against ranked teams were losses of 10 points or less. Nebraska is playing like they have a chip on their shoulder and should very well be undefeated at this point. The Huskers are currently a 10.5 point favorite. I think they win by 6.

No. 4 Virginia Tech at No. 19 Georgia Tech
The Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech have won 70% of their home games since the turn of the century. However, they have always lost at least one home game during every season. Consider this that 'at least one' game for this season. The Hokies prove they deserve a Top 5 ranking during BCS week.

No. 9 Miami (FL) at UCF
Is Miami the real deal? This is the first (of many) hot seat season for Randy Shannon and he has really delivered (one year early, according to most people). This will be their third straight win on a stretch that may very well last 8 games before their matchup with the in-state Bulls.

Kentucky at Auburn
Kentucky QB Mike Hartline is possibly out for the season, so the Wildcats will be breaking in someone new at the position against an Auburn team that needs one more win to be bowl eligible under an entirely new coaching staff. Wildcat RB Derrick Locke may have his best shot at eclipsing the century mark for the first time all season, but Auburn destroys the Wildcats in a rebound effort at Jordan-Hare.

No. 22 South Carolina at No. 2 Alabama
This could be an interesting game. Except for the fact that it won't be. I believe this is the first time both teams have been ranked when they met, but that may be the only first. Alabama should easily stretch their winning streak to numero dos against the Gamecocks (okay, I must admit that after we always had to time C*cks or some crap like that on BBF, I'm more than happy to talk about SC every single week ... LOL!)
__________________
50 Year Win %: Nebraska-.785
tOSU-.768 Penn St-.740 Oklahoma-.740 Texas-.733 Alabama-.729 Michigan-.724 USC-.723
Dominance! The Longstanding HUSKER Tradition!
NCAA record 311 consecutive sellouts, dating to 1962.
In an NCAA record 348 consecutive AP polls, including 96 consecutive Top 10 weeks.
Appeared in NCAA record 35 consecutive bowl games.
NCAA record 3 (Undefeated) National Championships in 4 seasons.



Reply With Quote
  #1142 (permalink)  
Old 10-15-2009, 10:51 AM
DallasFlier's Avatar
Husker Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam4uf View Post
No doubt, he is a definitely a great defensive player. BUT, if he wins the Heisman I will run naked through the swamp at half time and let Milk film it, then post it on this forum.
Can't argue with you on that. Although the official statement says "The Heisman Memorial Trophy Award, named after the former college football coach John Heisman, is awarded annually by the Heisman Trophy Trust to the most outstanding player in collegiate football" that's not REALLY what they mean. Only one defensive player has won in the history of the award - CB Woodson, and for a defensive lineman to be in the running would be just too far of a stretch. An argument might be made that Suh SHOULD win it, but he won't.
__________________
50 Year Win %: Nebraska-.785
tOSU-.768 Penn St-.740 Oklahoma-.740 Texas-.733 Alabama-.729 Michigan-.724 USC-.723
Dominance! The Longstanding HUSKER Tradition!
NCAA record 311 consecutive sellouts, dating to 1962.
In an NCAA record 348 consecutive AP polls, including 96 consecutive Top 10 weeks.
Appeared in NCAA record 35 consecutive bowl games.
NCAA record 3 (Undefeated) National Championships in 4 seasons.



Reply With Quote
  #1143 (permalink)  
Old 10-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Otto's Avatar
Proprietor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,033
Blog Entries: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
Oh, by the way, someone in the PCC (politically correct police) decided a few years ago that "Red River Shootout" was too "violent" and now you must refer to it as the "Red River Rivalry." That's the ONLY thing you'll see it called these days in the media around here.
Yep, but just as I will never stop calling the Florida-Georgia rivalry "The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party", I (nor any other fan) will stop referring to the Oklahoma-Texas rivalry as the "Red River Shootout".
__________________
BCSA (4.1, 5.0) | BCSD (4.1, 5.0)

The views expressed by me on Port3101.org are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.
Reply With Quote
  #1144 (permalink)  
Old 10-15-2009, 02:49 PM
DallasFlier's Avatar
Husker Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Yep, but just as I will never stop calling the Florida-Georgia rivalry "The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party", I (nor any other fan) will stop referring to the Oklahoma-Texas rivalry as the "Red River Shootout".
__________________
50 Year Win %: Nebraska-.785
tOSU-.768 Penn St-.740 Oklahoma-.740 Texas-.733 Alabama-.729 Michigan-.724 USC-.723
Dominance! The Longstanding HUSKER Tradition!
NCAA record 311 consecutive sellouts, dating to 1962.
In an NCAA record 348 consecutive AP polls, including 96 consecutive Top 10 weeks.
Appeared in NCAA record 35 consecutive bowl games.
NCAA record 3 (Undefeated) National Championships in 4 seasons.



Reply With Quote
  #1145 (permalink)  
Old 10-16-2009, 08:27 PM
iam4uf's Avatar
BES Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasFlier View Post
Oh, by the way, someone in the PCC (politically correct police) decided a few years ago that "Red River Shootout" was too "violent" and now you must refer to it as the "Red River Rivalry." That's the ONLY thing you'll see it called these days in the media around here.
.
Ya know, I never even noticed until you pointed it out. Since I have started to pay attention the Red River Rivalry is all I have heard all day. So funny, I wonder how many people have shot someone because they were influenced by the term "Red River Shootout"?
__________________
The Florida Gators
- Two national titles in the last 3 years.
- Ranked in 67 consecutive polls, including 48 weeks in the top 10
- More wins in the last 3 years than any other team in the nation.

- Urban Meyer holds a 7-1 record at UF against top-five teams, a 11-2 mark against top-10 opponents and
is 18-5 against the top 25.
Reply With Quote
  #1146 (permalink)  
Old 10-16-2009, 08:29 PM
iam4uf's Avatar
BES Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
Yep, but just as I will never stop calling the Florida-Georgia rivalry "The World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party", I (nor any other fan) will stop referring to the Oklahoma-Texas rivalry as the "Red River Shootout".
I disagree. The term "worlds largest cocktail party" has influenced my "cock" to chase more "tail".
__________________
The Florida Gators
- Two national titles in the last 3 years.
- Ranked in 67 consecutive polls, including 48 weeks in the top 10
- More wins in the last 3 years than any other team in the nation.

- Urban Meyer holds a 7-1 record at UF against top-five teams, a 11-2 mark against top-10 opponents and
is 18-5 against the top 25.
Reply With Quote
  #1147 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2009, 01:17 PM
iam4uf's Avatar
BES Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 247
Default

Funny, Texas offense doesn't looks so good when they actually play a decent team.
__________________
The Florida Gators
- Two national titles in the last 3 years.
- Ranked in 67 consecutive polls, including 48 weeks in the top 10
- More wins in the last 3 years than any other team in the nation.

- Urban Meyer holds a 7-1 record at UF against top-five teams, a 11-2 mark against top-10 opponents and
is 18-5 against the top 25.
Reply With Quote
  #1148 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2009, 02:04 PM
mriff's Avatar
Swamp Gator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida Swamps
Posts: 392
Default

OU would probably be comfortably ahead if they could actually hang on to the ball. I haven't seen this many fumbles in a game in a long time.
Reply With Quote
  #1149 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2009, 07:09 PM
mriff's Avatar
Swamp Gator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida Swamps
Posts: 392
Default

Wow. One word. Survived.
Reply With Quote
  #1150 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Milkman's Avatar
Knows the SEC > ALL
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida
Posts: 99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriff View Post
Wow. One word. Survived.
One word....

Ugh...
Reply With Quote
  #1151 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2009, 09:10 PM
rjw3000's Avatar
BES Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 30
Default

Not sure how Arkansas lost that game, but they somehow managed to do it.

I thought Florida was toast when the Arkansas guy caused the fumble with his foot, that usually means it's not your day when stuff like that happens
Reply With Quote
  #1152 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2009, 10:11 PM
iam4uf's Avatar
BES Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjw3000 View Post
Not sure how Arkansas lost that game, but they somehow managed to do it.

I thought Florida was toast when the Arkansas guy caused the fumble with his foot, that usually means it's not your day when stuff like that happens
That was one of many fumbles in the game. 3 fumbles in our red zone. Not going to take anything away from Arkansas. They played hard and came to play. Typical SEC football.

Funny how paranoid these kids are now. Our Freshman kicker kicks the game winner with 9 seconds left and the first thing he did was tell his teammates to calm down and he rushes to the sidelines. Scared to death to celebrate at all. So pathetic.
__________________
The Florida Gators
- Two national titles in the last 3 years.
- Ranked in 67 consecutive polls, including 48 weeks in the top 10
- More wins in the last 3 years than any other team in the nation.

- Urban Meyer holds a 7-1 record at UF against top-five teams, a 11-2 mark against top-10 opponents and
is 18-5 against the top 25.
Reply With Quote
  #1153 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2009, 08:58 AM
Otto's Avatar
Proprietor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,033
Blog Entries: 14
Default

...at least you didn't lose to Kentucky. Sigh. Our team just looks dead. We could use a break, but someone's infinite wisdom decide that wouldn't be needed until we played all but one game. We're driving down the field to tie the game. We're at a 3rd and 1 situation. False start. We're at a 3rd and 6 situation. Swinging gate play. False start. And then Chris Todd has seemingly reverted back to his old ways, throwing two quack quacks back to back to end the game. We had double-digit penalties to Kentucky's ZERO. The team with the fewer mistakes won this game.

And to add insult to injury, someone behind me spilled water where they were sitting and it dripped down very ninja-like to where my legs/feet were. From about 6 inches up on my jeans down to my shoes were SOAKED by the end of the game! And it was so f'n cold that I didn't even realize until we were leaving. Miserable. My feet still hurt so bad.

After these two straight losses, we're heading into the rest of the conference season with games against LSU (away), Ole Miss (home), Georgia (away), and Alabama (home). This was the preseason 9th, 10th, 13th and 5th ranked teams in the nation... and SEC schools are still judged in the media about having weak out of conference schedules?! HAH! We'll be bowl eligible only thanks to our homecoming game against Furman. To be honest, with a 12-game season, I'm not sure that Shreveport even gives us a call with a 6-6 record. I think the 5-0 start gave us a bit of a dream scenario when we really should have been keeping in mind a lot of the reality that truly faced us - major depth issues at nearly every position but offensive skill positions, the first year staff, the new offense, the new tackling philosophy, etc. We'll have a good recruiting year and hopefully start building on the future.
__________________
BCSA (4.1, 5.0) | BCSD (4.1, 5.0)

The views expressed by me on Port3101.org are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.
Reply With Quote
  #1154 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2009, 10:17 AM
iam4uf's Avatar
BES Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 247
Default

Seems like all of our teams stunk it up this Weekend.
__________________
The Florida Gators
- Two national titles in the last 3 years.
- Ranked in 67 consecutive polls, including 48 weeks in the top 10
- More wins in the last 3 years than any other team in the nation.

- Urban Meyer holds a 7-1 record at UF against top-five teams, a 11-2 mark against top-10 opponents and
is 18-5 against the top 25.
Reply With Quote
  #1155 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2009, 02:25 PM
mriff's Avatar
Swamp Gator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida Swamps
Posts: 392
Default

AP

1 Alabama (39)
2 Florida (20)
3 Texas
4 USC
5 Cincinnati
6 Boise State
7 Iowa
8 Miami (FL)
9 LSU
10 TCU
11 Georgia Tech
12 Oregon
13 Penn State
14 Oklahoma State
15 Virginia Tech
16 Brigham Young
17 Houston
18 Ohio State
19 Utah
20 Pittsburgh
21 Texas Tech
22 West Virginia
23 South Carolina
24 Kansas
25 Oklahoma
Reply With Quote
  #1156 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Otto's Avatar
Proprietor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,033
Blog Entries: 14
Default

wow @ the AP Poll. The media outlets have been so fickle this season. Oh well.
__________________
BCSA (4.1, 5.0) | BCSD (4.1, 5.0)

The views expressed by me on Port3101.org are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.
Reply With Quote
  #1157 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2009, 04:30 PM
DallasFlier's Avatar
Husker Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 317
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
...at least you didn't lose to Kentucky. Sigh. Our team just looks dead. We could use a break, but someone's infinite wisdom decide that wouldn't be needed until we played all but one game. We're driving down the field to tie the game. We're at a 3rd and 1 situation. False start. We're at a 3rd and 6 situation. Swinging gate play. False start. And then Chris Todd has seemingly reverted back to his old ways, throwing two quack quacks back to back to end the game. We had double-digit penalties to Kentucky's ZERO. The team with the fewer mistakes won this game.

And to add insult to injury, someone behind me spilled water where they were sitting and it dripped down very ninja-like to where my legs/feet were. From about 6 inches up on my jeans down to my shoes were SOAKED by the end of the game! And it was so f'n cold that I didn't even realize until we were leaving. Miserable. My feet still hurt so bad.

After these two straight losses, we're heading into the rest of the conference season with games against LSU (away), Ole Miss (home), Georgia (away), and Alabama (home). This was the preseason 9th, 10th, 13th and 5th ranked teams in the nation... and SEC schools are still judged in the media about having weak out of conference schedules?! HAH! We'll be bowl eligible only thanks to our homecoming game against Furman. To be honest, with a 12-game season, I'm not sure that Shreveport even gives us a call with a 6-6 record. I think the 5-0 start gave us a bit of a dream scenario when we really should have been keeping in mind a lot of the reality that truly faced us - major depth issues at nearly every position but offensive skill positions, the first year staff, the new offense, the new tackling philosophy, etc. We'll have a good recruiting year and hopefully start building on the future.
jibi, I don't sympathize with you, I empathize. Our offense was exposed badly yesterday, no way are we ready to compete at the top of the Big 12 yet. Defensively we may be there, we held Tech's explosive offense to a THREE season-low 259 yards and 24 offensive points, that's not bad at all. But our offensive line was blown off the line over and over again by Tech's defense. We had defenders in the backfield before the fake was even executed a few times. Coaching has something to do with it, but not sure we have the athletes on the OL to really compete with elite teams - or even kinda-sorta elite teams. As you mentioned about Auburn, we also have major depth issues in several places - including, unfortunately, at RB. Our starter is banged up, the 2nd (true freshman) is out for at least 6 weeks with a broken foot, and there's not a clear #3 - seems to be RB by committee. After yesterday, I'm feeling much like you - hopefully a good recruiting year and build on next year. Not sure if its quite that bleak yet, but my aspirations for this year were severely tempered yesterday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iam4uf View Post
Seems like all of our teams stunk it up this Weekend.
Yep, including both my Huskers and my wife's Buckeyes. At least your Gators pulled it out in the end, although with the kind of unimpressive win which dropped Texas in the polls last week - and you this week.
__________________
50 Year Win %: Nebraska-.785
tOSU-.768 Penn St-.740 Oklahoma-.740 Texas-.733 Alabama-.729 Michigan-.724 USC-.723
Dominance! The Longstanding HUSKER Tradition!
NCAA record 311 consecutive sellouts, dating to 1962.
In an NCAA record 348 consecutive AP polls, including 96 consecutive Top 10 weeks.
Appeared in NCAA record 35 consecutive bowl games.
NCAA record 3 (Undefeated) National Championships in 4 seasons.




Last edited by DallasFlier; 10-18-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #1158 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Otto's Avatar
Proprietor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,033
Blog Entries: 14
Default

...and Florida is first in the BCS rankings, including four of the six computer rankings. Alabama and Iowa each took first in the other two computer rankings. Go Gators!

I didn't watch the Alabama game, but I have to ask... did they really not attempt much in the passing game, or did they simply not have to do so? If they're down and out in the passing game, the SEC Championship game may seem like it could be won in the trenches (which I think the Gators would win fairly easily).
__________________
BCSA (4.1, 5.0) | BCSD (4.1, 5.0)

The views expressed by me on Port3101.org are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.
Reply With Quote
  #1159 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2009, 05:59 PM
mriff's Avatar
Swamp Gator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida Swamps
Posts: 392
Default

I watched a large part of the Bama/SC game. They didn't have to attempt many passes. Number 22 made sure of that. They simply couldn't stop him. He was either in the open field or bulldozing over defenders. Or actually carrying several with him up the field. He was impressive to say the least. SC actually moved the ball some, but killed themselves with very timely penalties.
Reply With Quote
  #1160 (permalink)  
Old 10-18-2009, 06:02 PM
mriff's Avatar
Swamp Gator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Florida Swamps
Posts: 392
Default

Here's the complete BCS Rankings:

1 Florida Gators
2 Alabama Crimson Tide
3 Texas Longhorns
4 Boise State Broncos
5 Cincinnati Bearcats
6 Iowa Hawkeyes
7 USC Trojans
8 TCU Horned Frogs
9 LSU Tigers
10 Miami (FL) Hurricanes
11 Oregon Ducks
12 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
13 Penn State Nittany Lions
14 Virginia Tech Hokies
15 Oklahoma State Cowboys
16 Brigham Young Cougars
17 Houston Cougars
18 Utah Utes
19 Ohio State Buckeyes
20 Pittsburgh Panthers
21 Wisconsin Badgers
22 Arizona Wildcats
23 West Virginia Mountaineers
24 South Carolina Gamecocks
25 Kansas Jayhawks
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.port3101.org/off-topic-discussion/225-2009-college-football.html
Posted By For Type Date
Untitled document This thread Refback 10-15-2009 12:53 PM

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011 College Football Otto Off-Topic Discussion 25 05-03-2011 06:44 PM
2010 College Football DallasFlier Off-Topic Discussion 396 01-23-2011 08:32 PM
2009 projects jletendre Port 3101: The BES Admin Bar & Grill 5 01-12-2009 04:19 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:27 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


 

SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2 PL2