04-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Join Date: Nov 2008
KB10692 - Common issues with BlackBerry Collaboration Service and IM Connector
KB10692 - Common issues with BlackBerry Collaboration Service and BlackBerry Instant Messaging Connector
- BlackBerry® Enterprise Server software version 4.1
- Microsoft® Live™ Communications Server (LCS)
- Microsoft® Office Communicator
If the BlackBerry Collaboration Service and the BlackBerry Instant Messaging Connector are unable to connect to the messaging server
- Make sure that the BlackBerry Enterprise Server is installed on the correct Windows® account during the installation process.
- Make sure that the BlackBerry Enterprise Server and LCS are configured to use the same protocol and port.
- Make sure that the BlackBerry Collaboration Service is started before the BlackBerry Instant Messaging Connector.
- Make sure that the correct application is installed on the BlackBerry smartphone. Microsoft Office Communicator and LCS use different protocols and different applications. If the wrong instant messaging application is being used on the BlackBerry smartphone the application will not work. To check which application is installed on the BlackBerry smartphone, complete the following:
- For BlackBerry Device Software 4.0, go to Options > Applications.
- For BlackBerry Device Software 4.1, go to Options > Advanced Options > Applications.
- Press the Menu key and select Modules.
- For BlackBerry Enterprise Messenger (used for LCS) look for:
- For Microsoft Office Communicator look for:
- If the incorrect application is being used, the application needs to be removed from the BlackBerry smartphone, and the correct application installed.
- Make sure that the BlackBerry smartphone user can log in to the instant messaging application from the computer. If this is not possible, the BlackBerry smartphone user will not be able to log in from the BlackBerry smartphone.
- Make sure that the BlackBerry smartphone user is browsing the Internet using the BlackBerry MDS Connection Service. If the BlackBerry smartphone user cannot browse the Internet using BlackBerry MDS Connection Service, BlackBerry MDS and BlackBerry Collaboration Service may be turned off. Check the BlackBerry smartphone user properties on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server and make sure that these services are turned on.
For more information on error codes when logging in to BlackBerry Enterprise Messenger, see KB05479.
If the issue remains unresolved, logs may need to be reviewed. Use the following articles to enable the advanced logging for the BlackBerry Collaboration Service and BlackBerry Instant Messaging Connector:
- KB04938 - Enable debug logging for the BlackBerry Collaboration Service
- KB04939 - Enable debug logging for BlackBerry Instant Messaging Connector