09-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Join Date: Nov 2008
KB04876 - Differences between BB Mobile Data Service and BB Mobile Data System
KB04876 - Differences between BlackBerry Mobile Data Service and BlackBerry Mobile Data System
- BlackBerry® Enterprise Server 4.1
- BlackBerry Mobile Data System (BlackBerry MDS)
In BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1, BlackBerry MDS refers to the BlackBerry Mobile Data System. BlackBerry MDS 4.1 encompasses three components:
The key differences between the BlackBerry Mobile Data Service and BlackBerry MDS 4.1 are the following:
- BlackBerry MDS Services
- BlackBerry MDS Studio™ (a developer's tool)
- BlackBerry MDS Runtime™ (BlackBerry Device Software)
- The BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1 installation program includes the option to install BlackBerry MDS on the same computer as the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, or on a remote computer.
- BlackBerry MDS Services are configured in BlackBerry Manager at the same level as BlackBerry Enterprise Server instances.
- BlackBerry MDS Services security, BlackBerry wireless device IT policies, certificates, and connection services are configured in BlackBerry Manager at the service level.
- In addition to browser technology and Java™ applications, BlackBerry MDS uses a web services-based approach to improve the speed of device deployment and application development.
- Enhanced provisioning and life-cycle management of applications. Pushing applications to multiple devices can now be done by defining groups in BlackBerry Manager, by personal identification numbers (PINs), or by email addresses.
- User-based BlackBerry MDS Runtime activation is no longer necessary.
BlackBerry Mobile Data Service is referred to as the BlackBerry Connection Service in BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1.