View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 10:42 AM
BES Addict

Post Trying to acheive nirvana - a single global BES domain

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to run this by everyone to see what they think. We have 6 global datacentres (with more coming on line soon) and a very mobile workforce and a small team to manage ~30,000 users (3 of us doing everything Collaboration realted!). After getting increasingly fustrated with managing multiple BES 4 domains (user moves from region a to B we have to move mailbox, deal with remote bes & remote exchange server issues, then use transporter to migrate,etc... painfull).

So with BES 5 we decided to consolidate. Since RIM does not have a formal solution to Global multi domain management we've have deployed the following - wanted to see what everyone thinks:

Toronto - 2 HA pairs with BAS running accross all nodes - this site also houses the BESMGMT database on a SQL failover cluster (working on mirroring to another site)
Zurich, Singapore, Dubai, Makkah and Shanghai - one BES pair per site, using the Toronto DB but NO BAS - Bas has issues scaling past 4 nodes and since you can only have one BAS Pool per BB domain it sucks when trying to get pool members to converge accross a wan (trust me I spent a day trying to get to work).

SO far I have ~1500 users up and runnign in Toronto and a few pilot users in our remote sites. Its wokring well with three little annoyances:
  1. Managing Logging Levels via BAS - we cannot log levels outside of toronto the BAS seems to time out when applying settings. I can hack the registry to set logging levels but it would be nice to manage via BAS - working with RIM on this one will see what they come up with
  2. Managing the default messaing config - since it has to do a mapi logon to the mailbox this can take a while for some sites but otherwise it works well. We rarely have to play with this so its a minor headached and was expected.
  3. BES monitoring service - Issues with load balancing & our toronto servers - not global scale out related but I just wanted to vent - Rim really dropped the Ball with BAS and NLB... support sucks. Our issue is that The monitoring service incorrectly reports the number of activated devices. It only reports users that are not in toronto - The monitoring service seems to have issues with our NLB (Done using ISA)

Just wanted to see if anyone attempted somthing similar and/or sees any issues apart from the single point of failure on the BESMGMT database. We discussed the BESMGMT database issues in great detail, since the BES can run for an extended period of time with no DB connectivity (we've had it run for at least an hour) the benefits to consolidating outweighed the risks on our end.

Later on this week we'll be starting to migrate users to our Remote BES servers (about another 500 users left in the remote sites) just wanted to see if anyone else has attempted somthing as interesting and can provide any feedback,etc...
Sponsored Links